Ansel Adams estate blasts Adobe for AI stock art sold with his name

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/03/ansel-adams-estate-blasts-adobe-for-ai-stock-art-with-his-name.html

8 Likes

14 Likes

Per the Verge article:

Adobe Stock Vice President Matthew Smith previously told The Verge that the company generally moderates all “crowdsourced” Adobe Stock assets before they are made available to customers, employing a “variety” of methods that include “an experienced team of moderators who review submissions.”

Let’s just say it’s pretty clear that human moderation is not universally applied to Adobe stock images:

11 Likes

Encherining!

3 Likes

Were I to arrive at that ER with some minor problem, I’d ask to be checked for a stroke on seeing that sign…

9 Likes

Reasonable. Fair.

“We don’t have a problem with anyone taking inspiration from Ansel’s photography. But we strenuously object to the unauthorized use of his name to sell products of any kind, including digital products, and this includes AI-generated output — regardless of whether his name has been used on the input side, or whether a given model has been trained on his work.”

On the other hand, trademark violations have always been on the owner to police. Undefended trademarks can be lost. You can’t expect people violating your trademark to own up to it.

3 Likes

Good on you, Adams family! (This is a test.)

2 Likes

You would hope a reputable corporation would aim to avoid abusing any kind of IP just because it thinks it can get away with it. I mean, isn’t Adobe’s business entirely built on not letting people copy its stuff?

I am hopelessly naive.

7 Likes

Sadly its stock image site is built on letting any schmoe contribute stock imagery with little in the way of quality control.

3 Likes

… does that make the claim more legitimate or less legitimate?

I guess “Disney” is also a dead guy’s name :thinking:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.