Anti-censorship coalition urges Virginia governor to veto "Beloved" bill

Sometimes, my home state gives Texas a run for its money. SMDH.

Amateur.

Snefru-128 encoding:

5258f8882f26160ea039a65f2be000472a6f1f70fc06903f9ef0706fa486ce5c
1 Like

[quote=ā€œwrecksdart, post:23, topic:74799ā€][quote=ā€œClifton, post:21, topic:74799ā€]
ROT-13ed for spoiler
[/quote]
Amateur.
[/quote]

It is the ancient custom among my people.

2 Likes

Try two passes, for doubling the security.

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with that. I object to censorship, though.

3 Likes

When I was in school, I liked it when my mom had read the books I was reading, so we could talk about them. She never censored anything, even when it was Marquis de Sade and I was 14. (Sexual sadism might have been a little much for that age, in retrospect.) She and I are very similar, though, and she knew that saying something was ā€œnot approvedā€ was a guarantee that Iā€™d want it.

6 Likes

Exactly. Once I picked up my sisterā€™s Once Is Not Enough and she freaked and told my mother. My mom, who was born in the 1920ā€™s, rolled her eyes and said that thereā€™s nothing wrong with reading something that I was sure to hear about soon enough.

5 Likes

Did you read the bill in question?

I donā€™t like censorship either, not even when applied to kids. For several reasons, but mostly because it doesnā€™t work.

My beloved put in his hand by the hole of the door, and my bowels were moved for him.

Who knew that Solomon was into scat?

2 Likes

Nope, not yet. I just mean that engaging with whatever your children are doing in school is a great idea. Itā€™s good parenting. Censorship generally isnā€™t.

3 Likes

Itā€™s weird. Definitely not a good law, in my opinion, although Iā€™d hesitate to call it censorship. More of a bad implementation of parental notification.

I do understand why an anti-censorship group would oppose it, and I suspect you will oppose it too.

Hmmm, Iā€™m trying to think if thereā€™s ever been a good implementation of parental notification. All the notifications Iā€™ve ever gotten were either too late to do any good (ā€œyour child is not performing to scale in this arcane measure, good luck teaching him or her in the two weeks remaining in the marking periodā€) or just useless FUD (ā€œyet another student in your kidā€™s class was gunned down on the street last weekā€).

The kind youā€™re talking about are not really state mandated in the same way this is, though, other than the normal routine needs of an institution to communicate with you as the parent. Itā€™s a general communication from the school to you. Each district probably does it differently.

I suspect this law will only cause more challenges to books in the classroom and books in the public school libraries. So, while this law might not be censorship, it can enable censorship of the kind weā€™ve already seen in recent history, which Iā€™d suspect tends to go after more books by POC, LGBQT, and women than men.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.