Anti-feminist arguments

There are certainly power inequalities and areas of male dominance that remain unaddressed; rejecting the word patriarchy does not imply that I don’t see that or want it to change (and it certainly doesn’t mean that I only see inequalities or injustices against men). Actually, I don’t completely reject the word – but it should be clear that the definition has changed and western society no longer meets the criteria at all.

Ah. OK. Look, I ain’t got the brain for this definition-trap bullshit games, mate. No offence.

19 Likes

Dictionary definitions do matter – feminism, patriarchy, oppression and many other words can be very vague and it is important to be clear on what you’re talking about. Asking for a definition gives you a basis for discussing it rather than seeing it as an amorphous filler. I am not completely against the word patriarchy, but it doesn’t bear the weight of the claims made about it. It doesn’t mean that women are always at a disadvantage to men. It doesn’t mean that systems only benefit men at the expense of women, and not sometimes the other way around.

If feminism means equality and that’s all, this should not be that controversial. If there’s a lot of other baggage that is assumed and evidence to the contrary is denied, then people can be pro-equality and anti-feminist.

I am not anti-feminist, but it really depends on what you mean by the word. I am against some forms of feminism.

2 Likes

People who actually learn how to debate…

Lemme stop you right there. Debates happen in clubs by participants engaging in a formal format with well laid out rules of engagement agreed upon by all. A messageboard/ Facebook post/ Reddit sub/ all of your dealings with the rest of humanity is not that.

8 Likes

I basically think that if I have problematic views that are factually incorrect, this is a good place to find out and I have adjusted my opinion a lot in the last few years. On the other hand, I get tired of name calling and lazy generalisations, since it’s so much easier to call me an insecure misogynist. This is not about me: I am the main childcarer in my family, and I could use these rationalisations to screw my wife completely. She is often sick and we are looking after her parents too, so they would all be toast. Obviously I wouldn’t do that, but when feminists say that it’s all about the children’s well-being and ignore evidence showing that having a father around is generally beneficial to the children’s well-being, I don’t trust them at all. If my wife can take away the kids after a divorce without a good reason (and “I work” is not a good reason), they are literally not my kids and I’ve just been under some false impression about that.

I do hope that I will be pleasantly surprised, but very few people are actually answering any of the questions. If I just write something on Quora and get a bunch of upvotes and no responses from feminists, that’s not a discussion (although plenty of feminists do read my answers and even follow me, since most of my answers are pretty orthodox feminism). I’ve had 853 views, and not a word of evidence refuting my arguments or the data.

I don’t care.

I know, that’s the problem.

Agreeing on definitions employed in a discussion is definitely a good idea when some of those terms have so much baggage, and particularly in the context of identity politics, where folks tend to get rather prickly rather quickly. Heading off the possibility of people talking at cross-purposes and/or straw-manning each other seems like a good move.

And another thing, it feels to me like open discussion on this issue is stifled. That seems dangerous.

3 Likes

I absolutely agree with the above statement.

1 Like

Dude. Thise weren’t my questions. Those were the quora questions you were complaining feminists didnt answer.

Also. Im going to recommend you take a break. This feels like an axe to grind and Im wholly uninterested in being your grind stone.

18 Likes

Dude. No. Just stop.

19 Likes

I hear the Feminist Cabal offered to go in on office space with the Elders of Zion but that didn’t go well, for some reason…

12 Likes

We’re trying! But they just wouldn’t agree to go 50/50 on the coffee service! Said it was too expensive! Said that we could all just “make our own”! Ha! As if Jerome knows how to make coffee!!

15 Likes

For the last time, kcups are not coffee. The French press is the one true way. Anyone who says different is a doodoo head and doesn’t understand my arguments.

13 Likes

I agree! But the amount we drink we were leaning towards cafeteria style carafes. You know the warming plate kind? But nooooo Jerome refused! Fuck you Jerome!

10 Likes

Motion successful. Eff Jerome, he’s the one that put the fish in the percolator anyway.

Btw, I am not a father, but I forbid myself to marry, yet I am a man of fathelyr age, so I am confused–is that a patriarchy, or a, uh, mehriarchy? Who should I oppress?

Edit

Duh, oppress myself, that way white men get to be the oppressed group. Genius!

7 Likes

Falcor steps in room, looks around. Heaves heavy sigh…and mutters “Bipeds.”

32 Likes

I for one welcome our dragon overlords.

:wink:

15 Likes

Wait a second wait a second wait a second.
I got it.

We live in a dontpushyerluckarchy.

10 Likes

Poisson sous-vide…?

4 Likes