Non-academic intersectionality

Continuing a discussion about amateur intersectionalists which was turning another thread into a flamewar.

3 Likes

(@evildonald) I think you’ll find I just addressed the issue and have read it. Also I was the FIRST person to talk in this thread, so I’m not even here to argue WITH people.

It was precisely that first post, with its vitriolic ignorance of the nuanced discussion in the article, that made it clear you were uninterested in the article and had some other issue going on.

So air it out. Tell us all about how Facebook SJWs have made your online interactions, as a feminist, intolerable.

8 Likes

@evildonald Regarding your private message: That’s not how bans work, or how comment hiding works. If that was my goal I would have flagged your comments.

5 Likes

Would you care to comment on the idea that when language is unclear, an academic approach to separating double meanings can be a good thing?

It seems that your objection to non-academic intersectionality is that when people make kneejerk assumptions about which meaning is meant when, that causes a shitshow of talking past one another? Might it be a good thing to present nuanced, deeper discussion and hope someone doesn’t hijack the discussion immediately with some variation of:

“As someone who marched in the Women’s Walk, I have never had an interaction with someone who identifies as an “Intersectional Feminist” who wasn’t racist.”

2 Likes

I’m not interested in talking at the “little kids table” to be honest.

I have “grown ups” things to say and I’ll say them in the grown ups room

However I would like to say that I didn’t say ALL intersectionals are racist… i just said all the ones I have encountered with so far are.

And I will say that my interaction in this forum thread has shown me that they are not all racist.

I won’t be writing anything else in this room.

So you feel that intersectional feminists are racist against you specifically as a professed white ally?

Versus reacting to your specific attempts at engaging feminists without addressing racist institutions?

1 Like

No. That would be a little paranoid, wouldn’t it?

Sure it could be, considering what intersectionality means and what sorts of blind spots it targets among the well-meaning, glibly tossing around “all I’ve met are racists” would point to a particular sensitivity, though I wouldn’t call it “paranoia” as such.

3 Likes

If literally the only people I’ve met up to that point have exhibited CLEARLY racist qualities, then that statement is not only not paranoid, but instead just factual.

I understand a racist when I meet one. They don’t have to be wearing a KKK robe for it to be obvious.

Here at the little kids’ table, we like to use correct grammar.

2 Likes

Did you really just try and one-up me with grammar mistake? You really brought a lot to the table.

Not into one-upmanship, but when I see someone dissing the intellectual capacity of this group, a) they’ve put me offside, and b) their shit better be tight.

So, you know, enjoy the bed you made.

6 Likes

You are just reinforcing my option of your group with this petty behavior.

If you want more options, there are plenty in this thread if you need them.

2 Likes

And you are reinforcing our opinion of you as having neither the capacity for community nor the ability to be less than profoundly brittle and lacking anything but the highest regard for yourself. You, sir, lack a sense of humor.

And yes, you are incapable of discerning the self-deprecating exaggeration I loaded into that paragraph. You could have fun with your fellow humans, or be a humorless outrager.*

*An outrager is a vitreous creature which comes in many colors and sexes, at least in its own mind, especially when attempting to mate with its own wifi connection. They can be tracked by the trail of glass shards, endless howling, and the optical distortions exposed when communicating their point of view.

5 Likes

However I would like to say that I didn’t say ALL intersectionals are racist… i just said all the ones I have encountered with so far are.

You know how they say that if you encounter an asshole, you’ve met one asshole; but if you encounter assholes all day…

8 Likes

Table.

And you might need this wad of paper - one of the legs is a bit wobbly.

2 Likes

You sure got me Andy. You definitely know me. You can now conveniently say to yourself “I can now happily discount that person’s opinion, because I labeled them”

Pat yourself on the back.

I’m glad we started this special little safe room so you can all try and attack me for having an opinion.

Tell me all about it on Friday.

You sure sound like a person who got called out for some pretty crap beliefs when giving uncalled-for “opinions” about feminism and race.

“You sure got me Andy. You definitely know me. You can now conveniently say to yourself “I can now happily discount that person’s opinion, because I labeled them””

Projection is amazing.

4 Likes