Antioxidants protect cancer cells, help tumors to spread

What is the science now? I am asking not quizzing, …because I do not know.

1 Like

“Oxidative stress inhibits distant metastasis by human melanoma cells” - that is the Nature study I see.

Which is one of the studies being cited…? No? I am so confused.

re-read the article. They talk about both studies. They are both mouse studies so things like dosages won’t easily translate over to human bodies.

1 Like

you sure you don’t have cancer? People can go years with undiagnosed cancer.

Nothing’s turned up, thanks. Are you sure you don’t have it?

Well, as I understand (at least some of) the current thinking, the health benefit of antioxidant-rich foods may not be the antioxidants themselves, but, rather, the assorted defensive phytotoxins that such plants tend to contain.

Those phytotoxins trigger our own built-in endogenous antioxidant responses, which are way more powerful than the small quantities of plant antioxidants.

But while giving patients much larger quantities of antioxidants extracted from plants can reduce oxidative stress, doing so causes the body to down-regulate its own endogenous antioxidant systems, leaving the patient more, rather than less, vulnerable to oxidative insults.

Essentially, antioxidant content serves as a guide to plants with phytotoxins that safely and effectively stimulate our own endogenous antioxidant response.

So the antioxidants by themselves, without the rest of the plant, may be worse than useless.

2 Likes

…thats what I said? Its one of the studies being cited? O_O

Do you think drinking the liquid produced by soaking green tea leaves in hot water gives a person enough of the rest of the plant, or is that basically just another potentially worse than useless extract?

1 Like

That’s amazing and awesome, and in a way pretty much not surprising that you have to eat the whole plant rather than separating out all the parts and eating an extraction. Well, not the “whole plant,” but the edible parts are better in whole than in extract form. I don’t know what I’m saying, but I think you probably get it. Don’t just eat antioxidants, eat the whole broccoli.

This goes with the thinking on sugar metabolism, how fruit sugar generally won’t make you fat or give you heart disease due to the “fiber” content if you eat the whole fruit. Eat as much as you want. But that when you refine fruit sugars & starches into purified forms and eat them in the presence of heavy fats, that’s when the health trouble starts.

Some pretty basic stuff about our continued existence is finally starting to come through the scientific process, and I like that.

2 Likes

FTA:

… in which their found

Could do with proof-reading

I thought you worked at a university? Most of them have SSO configurations so that if you’re signed into your university account, your institutional access to journals is automatic.

1 Like

Usually journals are access through the library, they hold the keys so to speak, but yes, its more than likely. :wink:

Actually, my mom’s best friend’s sister just died of undiagnosed cancer. She wasn’t feeling well, she went to the hospital, and a few days later, she was gone. Who knows how long she had it.

Did they say what kind? That is the scariest story I’ve heard in a long time.

I can’t remember if my mom told me or not. but it was incredibly sudden, and really scary to think about. I don’t know how much she went to the doctor, either… like I don’t know if she regularly went or not and if that is a factor.

But yeah, it was a shock. She was younger than my mom, too.

1 Like

Ugh. That just happened to a woman I worked with. She wasn’t feeling well, took time off work, next thing we know we got an email from her husband about the funeral 4 weeks later. So shocking. Cervical cancer, found out way too late. She was only in her late 30s. :frowning:

1 Like

Regular checkups, people, and know your own body so you know when something isn’t “right”.

But even then…I was diagnosed at stage 3 because it had already spread to the lymph system, despite the fact the cells were barely past microscopic. I had no sense of any problems, and only a particularly thorough mammogram picked up enough to trigger a biopsy. So no matter what you do, it’s still not a guarantee. (I’m in remission, so no worries.)

4 Likes

Can I give you an internet bear hug, a shoulder, or just a bear claw?

No really, I can put a bear claw in the mail.

2 Likes

I am not being snarky or trollish here. Srsly.

So, eat mostly plants, not much meat, and stay in shape. (How does this affect this fried chicken I’m making? (Okay, that was tongue in cheek))

1 Like

Ai yai yai!!! Mine was a Wilm’s tumor in my kidney when I was a baby, so I’ve gone my whole life with one big 14cm kidney. Y’all may have two kidneys, but yours are no bigger than 10cm. I possess the very rare and very large SUPER KIDNEY!!! That’s the best I can do with brightsiding it. Cancer sucks so bad. It runs in my family, except nobody dies of the same kind. Everybody gets something different. I’m sorry about your stuff @chgoliz and your mom’s friend’s sister, @Mindysan33.

7 Likes