Anyone can speed read. Learn how now and save precious time

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/14/anyone-can-speed-read-learn-h.html

Unfortunately TL;DR.

14 Likes

you’ll be breezing through novels and documents alike more than 3 times faster - with no loss in comprehension.

It’s comprehension that’s the problem. I learned this years ago - it’s called skimming.

7 Likes
2 Likes

And if you are really in a terrible hurry, you can speed read the Cliff’s notes of a novel rather than tackling the actual novel. The ideal approach for high powered executive types!

(cannot find a video clip or screencap of the relevant scene in Miracle Mile where Crosby’s character takes out the Cliffs notes of Gravity’s Rainbow and starts speed reading through it, trust me it’s there)

3 Likes

Read smarter, not faster.

8 Likes

12 Likes

Yeah, when I have to go back and read the same paragraph three times over, that’s a comprehension problem.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s a sign of exhaustion or intoxication.

2 Likes

Totally. The older I get, the more I notice that material just doesn’t sink in when I’m tired. Caffeine only goes so far.

My reading comprehension has also suffered from the pervasive “read this as fast as I can so I can rush to the next article, or text, or email, or whatever” smartphone world we live in. I really think Beschizza might be on to something with the dumbphone thing. If only the smart ones weren’t so undeniably useful…

This snake oil has been around since I was in high school (when the biggest challenge to reading was hefting the stone tablets).

1 Like

Boing Boing July 4, 2018…
Slow Reading Is Better Than Speed Reading.

4 Likes

Please define “lifetime subscription”?
This keeps popping up again and again and again. And we complain about scammy practices of BoingBoing store operators.
Like here

I have searched for “lifetime subscription” here on BoingBoing and I got a very long list of complaints in discussion on bbs. Do you really need to sell something, anything, so desperately?

Here is one of my previous complaints

3 Likes

Don’t bother. It still pisses me off that I just completely lost $55 on a stupid scammy sale and none of @frauenfelder, @pesco or the rest never even acknowledged it. I had bought a bunch of products, because I liked BB and liked supporting them, but the lack of even an “oh, too bad” from them meant that I haven’t bought a thing in years.

5 Likes

thank you, very useful information

And we all know what the hefting of stone tablets can lead to:

1 Like

That’s why you should buy one of our high quality fake BoingBoing products. I stand behind all of them. Probably because standing in front of them is dangerous.

5 Likes

Speed reading techniques can really damage your usual normal reading ability, and your comprehension and enjoyment suffer. Some people have taken years to recover their normal abilities.

The more you read with normal reading, the faster you will go anyway.

2 Likes

Evelyn Wood is now spinning very quickly in her grave.

1 Like

My reading isn’t slow, it’s artisanal.

5 Likes