AOC is going to Appalachia to talk to coal miners

Which is likely one of the reasons she’s going - to see what they have to say about their situation.

10 Likes

If nothing else; I expect her to actually listen to them.

Being heard goes a long way…

8 Likes

Um, AOC isn’t the problem. Have you watched her deal with her constituents? She’s one of the most “real” public people around. She doesn’t talk down, she listens, she responds, she’s respectful and she holds her own. I’d be surprised if any random group of people from anywhere in the country feel put-off by her.

The issue here is not AOC. The problem is that her good-faith approach is likely to be met by a mountain of bad faith. She’s going to have trouble controlling the context and, doh, there’s no one who can deal with, say, a platoon of QAnon folks, or an audience with a bunch of plants bent on causing trouble, or whatever other set-up she’s walking into. She has a small support staff but she’s going to be pretty much on her own no matter what does down.

1 Like

RFK visited, too. I’m sure that Ocasio-Cortez will follow his example and do more listening to them than talking at them.

The GOP boob who thought she wouldn’t take him up on his offer is yet another one who’s ignorant of the country’s history.

5 Likes

Judy Bari, representing Earth First & the IWW, had success speaking directly to loggers in California about worker exploitation, long-term planning, & green alternatives. She approached loggers not as an opponent but as a working-class labor organizer trying to get them their rights. It looked for a while as if she were going to forge a successful alliance between the workers, the union, & the defenders of old growth redwood trees. Then an explosive device was planted in her car. She was severely injured in the explosion & immediately arrested by Oakland police & the FBI while still in the hospital. Bari later said it was like they were “waiting around the corner with their fingers in their ears.”

8 Likes

I didn’t say she’s the problem or the issue. I said she’s facing a headwind. A headwind created by others, but to which she is going to be associated with. East Coast. New York. Congress. Being young doesn’t help. Being female matters less than you’d think, but her ethnicity will be more of a headwind than it should (but less than you might think).

Heck, I grew up in a state that is poorer and more rural than Kentucky, but because I have a northern accent, I have to be very delicate. She’s going to face the same situation multiplied.

1 Like

The short answer is yes. And no, because they already have been lost to automation and there aren’t many jobs left.

4 Likes

“We have to plan a future for all of our communities, no matter what. Failure to plan is planning to fail and I feel like we’ve been failing Appalachian communities for a very long time and it’s time to turn that ship around."

“We have to plan a future for all of our communities, no matter what. Failure to plan is planning to fail and I feel like we’ve been failing Appalachian communities for a very long time and it’s time to turn that ship around."

“We have to plan a future for all of our communities, no matter what,” she said. “Failure to plan is planning to fail and I feel like we’ve been failing Appalachian communities for a very long time and it’s time to turn that ship around.”

We have to go deeper.

Also, can AOC be your next president please?

2 Likes

My understanding with wind at least is that there’s a brief surge in employment around building infrastructure to support the turbines and of course the job of actually putting them up, but when it comes to operation and maintenance of them afterwards the numbers are much lower.

If she gets the UMWA to introduce her, it could work out.

2 Likes

True, but Bernie is an old white guy.

Not until 2024, sadly.

1 Like

Can she run as vice president legally? Ha. That’s How Teddy Roosevelt became president. The Republicans were annoyed by him and wanted him out of the governorship in NY so they gave him a promotion with little power attached. Then McKinley was assassinated and suddenly we had the youngest president (a year younger then Kennedy). Imagine a scenerio where mainline democrats try to get rid of her in that way. Not talking about assassination, but maybe Bernie could pull a James K Polk and resign after one term. I’m allowed to fantasize right?

I don’t think there’s any law against it.

A Bernie/Ocasio-Cortez ticket would be an amazing thing to behold, but it’s highly unlikely.

Absolutely.

6 Likes

Not to 2024 legally. Not to 2028 hopefully.

The Twelfth Amendment states, " No person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States."
Too young to be President, so too young to be Vice-President.

4 Likes

Gee… ol’ logic puns, huh?

1 Like

I hope someone gives AOC a good briefing on biodigesters beforehand.
Sure, the regressives have been flinging the most outrageous lies about wind and solar, but coal-miners are painfully aware of how effective natural gas is as a power source, given how it has been mostly responsible for putting coal prices into free fall. And given the fact that methane is just about as unlimited an energy source as wind and solar, but requires barely a fraction of the expense to generate from practically any organic “waste”, I can’t imagine the coal-people having any objection to using it.
Hell, tell them that kudzu works really nicely as biodigester fuel and they’ll start building their own units that afternoon.

2 Likes

I watched Matewan in an Econ history class, and loved it!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.