AOC is going to Kentucky

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/19/careful-what-you-wish-for-2.html

9 Likes

Seems to me the gentleman from Kentucky doesn’t know his own district well enough to represent it.

56 Likes

YAASSSSSSSS I can’t wait to see how this goes. Also “We still have open borders with Kentucky” what a perfect response :joy_cat:

This should address something that the corporate Republicrats refuse to acknowledge: people care (maybe slightly) less about the letter after their politician than they care about feeling like said politician actually represents them. I’m not a huge fan of Bernie for president, but remember his 2016 polling numbers measured way higher in contested states than Clinton’s vs. El Cheeto Grande.

21 Likes

Werq.

29 Likes

Cool. I’ll be there Monday too. I wonder if she’s going to be busy?

6 Likes

I follow her Instagram. She’s always busy.

If I were her neighbor, I’d bake her a lasagna on principle just because she’s working so hard for the rest of us.

52 Likes

Louisville is the blue island in a sea of red.

6 Likes

Please please have a livestream or some version where others can watch. Anything short of a media circus is disappointing.

8 Likes

I hope she can get through to those guys and gals that we care about them, much more so than their representatives.

12 Likes

disinvited her

9 Likes

It should start with her going into local establishments and asking how to get to the mines… that don’t exist.

6 Likes

If I were a GOP oligarch, I would be very concerned about her talking to my working class voters.

11 Likes

“Luckily we still have open borders with Kentucky”

Nice one, AOC. Nice one.

7 Likes

Speaking of Kentucky, I’m crossing my fingers and hoping Mitch McConnell goes down in flames. He’s running on a platform of raising the age for tobacco products to 21, but I just can’t help but point out that the age of consent in Kentucky is still only 16. Maybe want to do something about that Mitchy?

2 Likes

18, except when the older person is less than 10 years older than than the minor. Then its 16. That cushion could stand to be smaller but those arrangements are common, to avoid criminalizing normal relationships between peers where one or both parties happen to be minors. And that’s largely why most states have a sub 18 age of consent (most often with provisos). 16 is the most common age of consent in the US, followed by 17.

So far as I’m aware there isn’t broad criticism of this, or a broad push to raise those ages of consent to 18. Though there are pushes for tighter windows on the age/peer exceptions in some states (or instituting them where they don’t exist). And a push for more special circumstances like if the older party is in a position of authority its a more serious crime.

That’s also a state law. And the US senate doesn’t have much influence on it.

ETA: Maybe you’re think of the recent outrage about child marriage.

Kentucky fixed that last year. But again its a state law and has sweet fuck all to do with McConnell.

3 Likes

AOC could export cojones to Mexico.

2 Likes

If only they could export more AOC’s to Mexico, and manage to keep them alive. Fight the corruption, the misogynist patriarchal “traditions” and the stranglehold the super-rich have on the country, and maybe keep stupid brat kids from joining the cartels and make them wither.

Anyway, a whole other country, a whole other set of problems.

7 Likes

It sounds like Mexico needs the YPJ too. They already know how to stay alive.

5 Likes

sadly, any food that gets sent to a rep’s office goes straight in the trash due to poisoning fears - they can’t even donate it to a pantry :frowning_face:

if you want to show support, donate to her or a cause she’d like (DSA, ACLU etc)

“Him”?  

1 Like