Apple Bye Bye

So true! And when you ran it in Classic mode it was so snappy compared to OSX.
I’d go back to OS9 in a flash if I could.

This was a fascinating read, really. Hardly anyone ever has to think about or – heaven forfend – actually act upon changing from one company’s products to another’s, so it’s wonderful that you have granted us this intimate look into your personal consumer choices.

Please remember to update us the next time you switch to a new laundry detergent or peanut butter brand.

2 Likes

Oh no, less podcast productivity! Whatever shall we do.

…did you miss the “writes for a living” bit? He’s actually a senior editor for a content network. He makes enough money to live comfortably. He goes on really nice cruises. The Apple problems probably cost him a shitload of actual dollars.

Oh wait. You’re trolling me. Sorry, my Poorly-Executed-And-Possibly-Illiterate-Internet-Sarcasm-Meter isn’t installed on my iPad. Stupid Apple products.

1 Like

As I recall, he did eventually roll back. And it was a capital-P Pain. It was also the best path for him.

1 Like

This might be the most hilarious approbation of personal eminence ever to grace these pages.

:+1: !

3 Likes

I feel the same. I hadn’t realized how old my current desktop was until I read the date on the BIOS (yes, BIOS) and then started getting antsy. How long until a component on the main board goes bad? But I have my filesystem on Bcache, a decent graphics card, and a decent amount of RAM, so it still feels pretty new after several years.

I feel the same way about the major Linux desktops, too. I think the GNOME desktop’s really nice nowadays

but they sure have a weird way of deciding to just change stuff up. Contrast that with, oh, I don’t know, just using a terminal and Window Maker. Or XFCE4. Or we could start a flamewar about Vim vs Emacs, and realize that, among the users, we use those editors largely the same way we did 10, even 20 years ago.

I hate the notion of, hey, we’re changing this because we know it works better. Apple seems to be able to do this better; but then, there’s companies like Microsoft that tried to follow their lead, and that got us Windows 8.

No, that’s not stock GNOME 3 in the screenshot, there’s a 3rd party theme called Arc, a few shell extensions, and I’m using Roboto instead of the default font. If only GNOME Shell or Unity looked like this.

And if only Adobe CC was on Linux. *sigh*

1 Like

well while we’re talking about it, how does apple’s ongoing support compare to other vendors?

A-fucking-men! I need an alternative to Cupertino and Redmond. And Linux always feels 10 years behind the curve. Where is my silicon savior?

1 Like

Incidentally, every version of OS X since Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8, released 2012) has had near-identical system requirements. No Mac has been left out of full OS upgrades in over three and a half years, and desktop Macs as old as the 2007 iMac are still supported.

1 Like

There are people who use Roboto by choice? The more you know…

yeah, that sums up my feelings pretty well too.

1 Like

'11 Classic, 160GB. Nobody’s taking that away from me… isn’t it nice to have a dedicated device for one single purpose? Couldn’t live without it.
If it does decide to stop spinning its little hard disk at some point I’ll finally put in the flash memory mod and have an even higher capacity for lossless audio files!

1 Like

Yikes. I remember System 6, 7, 8, and 9. Progress marches on, whether I wanted it to or not, but in this case, I wanted it (I’d shifted over to IRIX nearly full time for a while there). I loved the Mac; earlier iterations are fine for nostalgia’s sake, but you could not pay me to go back to using any of them professionally. (BeOS, on the other hand…)

I like Yosemite just fine. Still runs Adobe CS3 (albeit with a few minor caveats, but come on, how old is CS3?)

Oh, I loved that little machine. Never had one, but a friend did. Had two Quadra 700s briefly, but that was it for the '040-based systems. I’ve had 5 Mac laptops since 1998. Next laptop I get, will also be Apple-made, in spite of the fact I spilled a whole glass of water into the keyboard of my Mid-2010 Macbook Pro. (The only lasting damage was to the keyboard. I disconnected the keyboard, and it worked fine otherwise. Yeah, Apple’s hardware must be terrible. No other laptop of any other make would have that result, I’m sure.)

But that’s just my experience. I do get frustrated by all the change (one of the appealing things about IRIX was how little it visibly changed from 5.3 to 6.5). But it’s not just Apple. Linux, Windows, and Android pulls the same crap to varying degrees. So the question boils down to: what are you willing to live with? I’ve made my choice, others will choose differently. But a bad experience is often temporary. Since the software changes, it’s easy to wait.

So out come the strawmen arguments. I don’t bother with defending Apple anymore. It’s a waste of time, and nobody’s paying me for it. And no one’s really attacking my preferences anyway.

I’d never use a Macbook Air, though. That screen is too small for my aging, mammalian eyes.

2 Likes

You’re on one for this discussion

The other day I was trying to help somebody do something (not on a Mac). Professional aged 53, been using computers for years. Select text, ctrl-C ctrl-V.
“What did you do?”
I grew up with Unix in command line days, when we used to have handy reference guides for the ctrl-codes. Even now I find it unnatural, however, to do a mouse click on empty space. How does this work in the desktop metaphor? If I tap my pencil on my desk, what do I expect to happen?
I still have difficulty remembering the totally borked way that you navigate Windows to show hidden files, for instance.

When a new OS is installed it should take you through every change it has made from your previous defaults and show you a menu to reset things the way you want. The existence of Classic Shell and Startisback on Windows shows how easily Microsoft could have done that with Windows 8 had they given a toss about their users. Apple with its concern for “user experience” should do better. If screen resolution changes between models - not unreasonable - a first time menu saying “Have you replaced a previous Mac?” would be one possibility, with an option to revert to the default layout. Another one, of course, would be to store configuration in the user’s cloud account and use it to set the defaults for any new computer. (But then, I have a Chromebook.)

2 Likes

Why, I once spilled half a bottle of water over the keyboard of my 2007 MacBook Pro (with the silvery keys) while it was running and nothing at all happened to it. It continued to work just fine for several years until it had to be replaced for unrelated issues.

1 Like

Companies will be companies. Still the better choice f you need to use Adobe products. Windows 10 is by far worse in every possible way.

1 Like

Maybe he was just hired to install a toilet main.