Apple introduces new font: “San Francisco.” Shoulda been called “Francisco Sans.“

Roboto served the same role (Operating System vendor develops inhouse typeface for operating system), back in Android 4.0. It wasn’t that well recieved.

Some of us care about subjects you might not, believe it or not.

This is only the second post tagged typography in the entire year so it’s not like BB has become some sort of cliquey graphic design hangout. I for one would like to see more of that, not less.

What themes would tickle your fancy?

3 Likes

Well, if present-format tech jounalism doesn’t report on even the tiniest gossip about the likes of Apple, Google and Facebook they won’t have much left to say, will they?

Seriously though, system fonts have far-reaching effects far beyond the interest of design nerds. If it wasn’t for the crushing dominance of Microsoft in the 90s we (collectively, generally) would never have heard of Arial or Comic Sans, for instance.

Since Apple is kind of a big deal right now (you might have heard of it already) I wouldn’t be surprised if this new San Francisco, good or bad as it is, ends up one of the most influential typefaces of the decade.

One more disappointed customer for the Google Doc, Rob!

1 Like

The existential dread of fighting games - #40 by MacD

Black ASU prof beaten by campus cops without provocation, charged with assault - #40 by MacD

:kissing_heart:

Somebody get out the “I am dissapoint” list.

In all seriousness though - BB has tens of posts a day, many of which probably don’t interest you, but DO interest other people in the BoingBoing audience. And more importantly, they interest the people who write for BoingBoing. There’s a really simple solution to all of these posts that don’t interest you, of course. I’ll leave it to you to figure it out.

1 Like

Sure, why not? Apple designed a font specifically for their watch OS, and it was well received enough that they decided it would be their new general system font. It’s the new face of their design approach, and while it’s a subtle change, as a graphic designer, I think design evolution like this is really fascinating to watch. Might not be your bag, but hey, I’m sure there’s folks who read BB who question why they feature an illustrated history of hip hop, articles about bananas, or news about pot, too.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.