Apple inventor Steve Wozniak was busted in high school for fake bomb

BTW did he tell you that (flicking wires totest if they are live) is believed to be a primary cause of heart damage in older electricians who did that instead of measure? A couple times won’t hurt ya, a couple times a day will add up.

1 Like

BTW, can I get a show of hands of people that haven’t made a bomb?

• Sure, made one (or more)
  • Nope
  • I plead the fifth
  • I am a civil engineer

0 voters

lawl that’s what I get for being the first effing voter.

1 Like

16 year old me should be in a supermax.

4 Likes

I’m so grateful for the statute of limitations. Now I can finally talk about that Kay’s Cross fire random shit in 1994.

2 Likes

What if you flick them with your right hand while your right elbow is touching something grounded? (May eventually be bad for the nerves in the arm I suppose.)

I think the advise is similar to concussions or dingers in American football, or alcohol for that matter. Moderation.

CSB I met a guy that survived 480v three phase. And why yes, luckily he was blown backwards like a Michael bay stunt and didn’t get stuck on the wire.

3 Likes

I was mostly referring to the fact that the electricity should travel out of your system without crossing the heart. May screw your electrolyte balance for a bit though. This is pretty off topic, so I’ll drop it here.

3 Likes

I abandon more posts because of guys like the two of you…

2 Likes

Hypothetically, would an empty trash can full of butane from some bic lighters and lit from a lighter taped to the inside be considered a bomb?

Edit: Apparently yes (although this sounds far less impressive than a certain thing I might have seen someone definitely not me do back in the 80s)

4 Likes

I say it counts. (In intent at least, even if not in execution.)

1 Like

We would all be in jail if we pulled the kinda of things these days.

I guess I am trying to go a little further in highlighting the lack of compassion in a few of these stories. Blowing something up should get you in trouble. But not life ruining trouble (caveat, caveat, caveat).

BTW,never fill a soccer ball with gas, then proceed to play soccer.

1 Like

Some guy I know likes to smash up whistling petes with a hammer, which makes them whistle briefly and then detonate. Great fun. I hear.

2 Likes

Sigh. I feel bad for kids. They’ll never know the joy of re-enacting Back to the Future’s flaming tire tracks with some gasoline or burning a rather substantial hole in their driveways with homemade thermite.

Maybe one day the helicopter parents will calm back down again and we can start giving people chemistry sets again.

4 Likes

Unfortunately it’s gone a little beyond helicopter parents.

3 Likes

Pistleing Wheats were, so I heard, the best.

1 Like

I can relate one story that happened to me that might add some evidence to that. When I was in grade school I was watching TV in the basement with my cousin. The TV was powered through an old two-conductor extension cord. I thought I would be clever and trick my cousin by unplugging the extension cord behind my back. Of course, the TV went out to my cousin’s shock. And speaking of shocks, when I attempted to plug the TV back in–behind my back–I got the plugs offset and only plugged one of the male ends in leaving the other exposed, and of course my hand touched it and I got a nasty jolt. I do not know, however, if the exposed blade was the hot or neutral wire.

1 Like

I remember, back in 90’s, wiring up a cellphone trigger, sorta on a dare. Local Minister of Love (or Truth?) was commenting about how superhightech they are, after his Keystone Kops seized some; I was just eating dinner. I sketched a bit on the napkin, then after I finished eating I made a proof of concept with a LED instead of a switching element.

Few weeks later we used exactly that circuit to remotely reset a server that kept freezing randomly.

This tech is dual-use.

Interesting. [citation needed], please?

I’ll try and find one. I have heard the anecdotes on both sides. And I even know electricians that can tell voltage by flicking them.

But like concussions, just don’t do it daily when there are other means.

I can tell a 9V’s relative strength by tasting it.

3 Likes