Apple investigating iCloud "hack"

Exactly, cloud storage is not safe, but is being paraded as so.

Credit cards are touted as safe, but we all know they arenā€™t. I have been a victim of credit fraud, and I assume I will again at some point in the future, so every time I use my card I know I am taking a risk. I consider options such as carrying cash on me, writing checks, and shopping in person instead of online, but I choose to continue to use my card because so far the convenience far outweighs the almost zero impact the credit fraud caused me. Maybe next time I wont be so lucky.

My private pictures have never left my house that I know of, but I know my machine can be physically stolen, as well as my phone with a few pics on it (Androidā€™s default is to not sync pics with the cloud). So I know there is a risk involved when producing and retaining private pictures, and again I choose to accept that risk.

Now keep in mind Iā€™m not interested in blaming the celebs, Iā€™m not even sure I know exactly what that means. However, Iā€™m going to go ahead and assume that these celebs know pictures of this nature is going to make them a target, and they chose to accept that risk. I throw up in my mouth when I consider that Iā€™m even anywhere close to the idea of ā€œshe was asking for itā€, but at the same time Iā€™m also kind of conflicted because I feel like they were elevating their risk factors (keep in mind I still feel horrible for them, their lives must be turned upside down for a long time, and itā€™s not fair).

I wouldnā€™t be posting if I were furious because Iā€™d quickly get myself banned.

Iā€™m not arguing against something I heard elsewhere, Iā€™m arguing against the notions that 1) storing data on the internet implies ā€œpublishingā€ it and 2) that nude imagery is generally or widely objectionable (as opposed to minimally or in a delimited sense) .

I think you hold to the first idea to be true, and I think you might agree with me that the second is wrong. Am I misreading you?

As to all e-traffic (or only ā€œcloud trafficā€ in the minimal sense) being ā€œpublishingā€: I disagree! We canā€™t stop the sharing of intimate/sensitive data by people raised with instantaneous, omnipresent communication at a distance. The internet is too convenient and ubiquitous. We must get security right and continually work at shoring it up (as Ranum, Schneir, et al. would say, itā€™s process, not a product).

wrt nudes: images of (non-injured/gory) body parts donā€™t bother me and people need to get over themselves on that point. Iā€™m not a naturalist or an exhibitionist. Nudity is not objectionable in general or in principle but in specific situations, i.e. in public places and when unsolicited in private spaces. Do you agree with me about this?

I think the state has an interest in treating theft of personal digital data like theft of personal papery data; Iā€™m of like mind to halloween_jack_ in that regard (and afaik, law is already vaguely like that). The opposite direction might be to pass laws which deem parties negligentā€”contributorily or in wholeā€”if they put specific classes of personally identifiable information onto any networked device (and/or make it illegal to sue employers if fired because of a situation like this).

ā€¦ I am not in favor of going the latter direction.

We ought to change our norms such that we are no longer offended by the private nudity or sex of our adult peers (whether recorded or not) and we should make victim-blaming less of a default line of thinking.

It unreasonable to suggest that the persons in these photos meant them to be widely circulated. Their wide circulation was the crime of a third party.

Of course the photos wouldnā€™t have been shared had they not been taken in the first place. Thatā€™s completely obvious and itā€™s not the salient point.

Of course they wouldnā€™t have been raped had they remained locked inside all day!

Of course they wouldnā€™t have been shot had they not been born into a gang culture!

I dislike this mode of thinking; I find it worryingly unempathetic.

By way of analogy: the victims here did not develop thousands of nude photos of themselves and dump them from high-rises into the city on a windy day. Rather, they had a few copies of the photos stored at a PO box and somebody broke into it, made thousands of copies, and dumped them over the city.

1 Like

It seemed like the reporting on this story on the news networks was just terrible too. Hereā€™s a clip from CNN with a person who is credited as Technology Analyst. What the fuck?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.