Apple's CEO: tech regulation is "inevitable"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/19/for-thee-not-for-me.html

3 Likes

Annnnnnd Apple stock is dropping…

1 Like

Yeah, you’re probably looking in the wrong place for that.

He only talks about privacy regulation because it’s a non-issue for Apple, and potentially an existential threat for some of their competitors.

6 Likes

You know what else is inevitable? Your Apple product being mass produced with engineered obsolescence for your personal enjoyment.

5 Likes

Well, not only. He also wants a seat at the table when legislators invite Big Tech behind closed doors to write the regulations for their own industry so lawmakers can rubber stamp regulatory capture. It’s happened innumerable times before and it’ll happen again.

5 Likes

My iphone is 4 years old, and I should get another 4 out of it with a $50 battery replacement. I’m writing this on a 5-year-old MBP which is still going strong. The one before that I had for 8 years and only replaced because it had a PPC processor and wasn’t getting software updates anymore.

5 Likes

So you’re going to just give up and let it go at that?

Oh come on, I think it’s fair to say things are legitimately different under the Trump administration.

I mean, you now actually need to literally bribe the President, in order to be invited to such councils!

1 Like

It’s true – Apple is not the best brand to pinpoint when it comes to claims of “engineered obsolescence” when, as a tech company, they have made it pretty easy to continue to use their devices for many years – a fact taken advantage of by many of their users. Typing this on a 2012 first-gen 15" Retina MacBook Pro running 10.14.1.

I am a little peeved about my Airport Extreme going to way of the dodo in terms of ongoing support. My new Netgear AC3200-based Nighthawk WiFi router just arrived from Amazon today to replace it, in fact. Range on the Airport Extreme always left a bit to be desired. Anyway, you win some and lose some, sure. But all in all, Apple’s products do tend to last.

1 Like

Well they’ve been trialling it in China and it works great there! Happy days!

Reign in those assumptions there. I’m pointing it out for a reason. Industry spin is engineered to sucker people into the myth of corporate altruism.

3 Likes

And I’m writing this on a 2009 Mac Mini. One gets really tired of this “planned obsolescence” bullshit meme.

1 Like

On that we can agree. A great listen on this subject is this talk from Anand Giridharadas at Google in September of this year.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.