Apple's new bootloader won't let you install GNU/Linux -- Updated

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/11/ring-minus-1.html

Wow, everybody is posting this story without cheking facts. https://imgur.com/a/AGDayTh . If you disable secure boot, you can still boot any OS you want. The problem is that Linux doesn’t have the drivers for the SSD yet…

9 Likes
4 Likes

While I can’t really fault Cory for not finding an image of an email chain posted to a GIF-sharing site, it wouldn’t be an Apple article without missing some detail.

9 Likes

There seems to be some debate and lack of clarity on this. So far, you are the only person I have seen who claims that it is a lack of driver. It may be the case, I don’t know, but this person got the SSD working for a bit before it stopped. Possibly because it was shut down by the T2.

Of course, I remember a few times I was able to get the wrong driver working for a few minutes before it crashed.

5 Likes

To make things worse, publishing tools to allow for bootloader overrides is legally risky under section 1201 of the DMCA, which provides for 5 year prison sentences and $500,000 fines (for a first offense) for anyone who trafficks in tools to override access controls for copyrighted works.

Well thank goodness hackers have been defeated, once and for all!

4 Likes

Blockquote But as with every security measure, there’s a difference between “secure for the user” and “secure against the user.”

Ehh… I’m not so sure about that.

As with encryption, the logistics of technology (particularly infosec tech) defy our attempts to argue it into a certain ideology. The “user” is not the “owner”, it’s whoever happens to be sitting in front on a person’s computer at this moment: spooks or thieves included.

The idea behind secure boot is to enable an environment where a bad actor can’t boot someone else’s laptop into a custom OS (can’t imagine what that would be) where they could bypass the security built into the original OS.

As other users have pointed out, secure boot seems to be optional. I’m all for criticizing bad moves by big tech, but infosec always demands a compromise. Law enforcement will have to deal with that, but so will the (probably very small pool of) people who want to secure boot Linux on their Mac. And as other others point out, there’s always the option of running a VM…

2 Likes

We need to establish that all software is expression, and covered by the first amendment, or, at the very least, that this is the case for software distributed as code like OSS.

4 Likes

Its not helpful if you just reblog some made up stuff without any further fact-checking, @Cory. you should really working on your sloppiness, yes? cause it became already a running-gag and not in a good way.

4 Likes

root of trust

Is that anything like a chain of trust?

1 Like

He is unlikely to read that.
@doctorow will make the grey stuff arrive to tell you you used a valid username.
@Cory is thus not one.

4 Likes

You get out of here with your facts. This is Cory posting anti-Apple article, there’s only room for outrage here.

I just sit here and wait for a correction…

3 Likes

I always like to read his name as “Doctor Ow” like some clumsy medical practitioner in a Mr Men book.

1 Like

That’s crazy talk. That would be like saying a corporation is a person and… oh wait.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.