Apple's "Snowbrawl" commercial is by the director of John Wick and Deadpool 2

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/04/apples-snowbrawl-commerc.html

2 Likes

Afford an iPhone and like, 4 years of film school and maybe another 10 in the industry, more like. Still, that was a really fun ad.

4 Likes

The commercial made me really, really, really glad I live in Houston TX.

3 Likes

This kind of thing is really cool but very misleading.
I saw a 12x12 frame with bounce on it. I saw the camera rigged with speed rail
I saw them using a 2x3 solid as either a courtesy or for negative fill
I saw stunt folk and pads
Lets face it. The CAMERA DOES NOT MATTER. It is the one who wields it

3 Likes

I saw that, but was also a bit surprised that for the most part this ad didn’t use a lot of sophisticated grip equipment. It was mostly just a handheld camera, along it with an expensive live video transmission system to the video village so the director and producers could see the footage being filmed. For the most part a person without additional gear really can do this shoot with just an iPhone.

6 Likes

Snowball fights mostly occur on snow days, therefore, snowball fights are awesome.

2 Likes

Don’t underestimate what kids with a lot of time and imagination can do.

2 Likes

I want to see the blooper reel.

“Wonderful. Now, if everyone could check all the phones to make sure that alarms are off and they’re in airplane mode, that’d be great, thanks!”

2 Likes

Yeah I just take a bit of offence when they take a professional DP with a full crew and known director and try to say anyone can do this.

1 Like

2 things:

1. Yes, obviously this is the work of a professional film crew. YMMV. But the base tool (a 4K camera many of us have in our pocket) is legit and, as someone commented above, kids today are enormously sophisticated visual storytellers with a lot of camera flight-time by the time they are teenagers. Don’t underestimate them.

2. Gotta’ give props to the great French filmmaker Abel Gance, who’s 1927 film Napoleon was way ahead of its time. The dynamic schoolyard snowball fight in which a young Napoleon realizes his true leadership potential is a clear influence on this wonderful commercial. (Sorry, this is the best video I could find): https://youtu.be/Mlox9bsPb6s

4 Likes

Fair enough. But young filmmakers can be incredibly creative and resourceful, and the production team aren’t using out of reach lighting packages - just bounce light. And no fancy stunt rigging - crash pads are about as basic as you get for stunt rigging. No bullet time rigs, or Steadicam, or technocrane, or Russian arm. This is doable. Probably the one thing that’s maybe most out of reach, is using a hazer in the woods to get the light beams. Well, that and all the permits, which requires craploads of liability coverage.

2 Likes

I do like short films.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.