Apple's trying to block rude emoji combos from AirTag engravings, but it's not hard to fool

Originally published at: Apple's trying to block rude emoji combos from AirTag engravings, but it's not hard to fool | Boing Boing

It can also say :cow::cow::poop: but not :cow::poop:. Given the limited emoji selection why include :poop: if they object.

6 Likes

honestly don’t know why you’d want to ENGRAVE shit-anything on your AirTag.

3 Likes

And yet the Cult of Jobs continues to insist that Apple isn’t the corporate incarnation of a control freak.

4 Likes

I think it’s logical, a few restrictions are better than pearl-clutching nationwide news stories about parents complaining because Apple let Junior engrave whatever on his iPhone.

1 Like

I wonder if you can fool the filter and still get the emoji in the desired sequence by abusing the Unicode bi-di algorithm.

2 Likes

I wondered many thing about fooling the filter. I am also probably going to get one. I have not come up with anything I want on mine that is worth fooling the filter to get… yet.

The obvious choice:

■■■■■

3 Likes

The real question is whether it will be fooled by:

:horse: [zero-width-breaking-space] :shit:

2 Likes

‘Shit bird’ is a surprisingly common nickname

1 Like

This is probably for the best. I don’t think society has recovered yet from my entering “BUM” as a name in 80s video-game cabinets.

1 Like

I’d be more concerned that Junior is ordering his own iPhone, but that’s just me.

A lot of people in this world lose their :poop:.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.