Archaeologist demonstrates how to weave a turkey feather blanket

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/01/archaeologist-demonstrates-how.html

3 Likes

When I make my Eleventy Billion Dollars I’m going to commission the creation of idiot-proof, hand-cranked/solar video terminals that contain all of this kind of practical survival stuff – like that fellow in Queensland who is recreating civilization with mud and rocks – if the shit every really goes down, having a sort of “Rebuild the World” terminal would save hundreds of years in the rebuilding. Sort of like Foundation, I guess, or the monuments left for the Fithp in Footfall.

But it’s shocking to me how much human knowledge exists on the Youtubes. It should be preserved for all time.

6 Likes

Huh, I have not heard of a turkey feather blanket before. Neat, I want to feel it!

2 Likes

Most popular CrankTube video in the year 2084:

“How to weave a blanket out of old USB cables and Sonic straws.”

7 Likes

Holy crap. I don’t know what I was expecting, but that was way more complicated and labor-intensive than I could have imagined. It really makes me realize what kind of advantage people who had access to things like wool-bearing sheep had in making clothing and blankets. The amount of time that went into hand making clothing out of wool was enough to make them valuable objects, I can’t imagine how valuable something like this would have been.

2 Likes

Its amazing how much time you have on your hand if you don’t have TV or a bullshit job to go to. Making blankets is your job, and your hobby!

The book, Guns, Germs, and Steel outlines all of the resource advantages the Old World had over the New World, and domesticated animals with their labor and resource advantages were HUGE. (This also played a huge role in disease immunity, as Old World had so many more diseases that jumped from domesticated animals to humans.)

4 Likes

That was really wonderful. She does a very good job of explaining all the steps in the process.

7 Likes

She has a ton of other cool demos on that channel!

6 Likes

Plus, the colder you are, the faster you make that damn blanket.

1 Like

Thanks so much, that was absolutely amazing. The time spent to draw the quills in so there is no discomfort. Also, the use of feathers, such a natural choice given the way our bird friends live in the harshest natural conditions.

The fact that the turkeys weren’t for eating and that they naturally shed or aren’t wounded by pulling the feathers was a beautiful part of this narrative.

I’ve been searching online for how to make the Kahu huruhuru a Maori cloak of feathers, Jacinda Ardern wore one to Buckingham Palace! Just wondering about a similar craft from a totally different culture. If anyone has some information, would love to see it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.