Get up out of that trench!

9 Likes
12 Likes
8 Likes

hmm…
i should check that out. :wink:

11 Likes

this story from last year.
there is a similar find just uncovered this month in that area, but i am having trouble finding a good source to share. regardless, there is cool stuff under all those condos in downtown miami.

10 Likes

10 Likes
12 Likes

Find pushes back birth of Europe’s steel hardware to about 3,000 years ago

[…]

The team, led by University of Freiburg archaeologist Ralph Araque Gonzalez, base their claims on geochemical and metallographic analyses – and some good old fashioned experimental archaeology. They demonstrated that a series of engravings on stone pillars found in the region from the late Bronze Age could only have been made with tools made from proper steel, and it was most likely developed locally.

According to the team’s paper on the research, the final bronze age (FBA) in the Iberian peninsula lasted from around 1200–800 BCE, and the early iron age (EIA) lasted roughly 200 years after that. Despite that commonly accepted timeline, the team said a series of engraved steles identified as from the FBA/EIA and examined as part of the study were mostly made of extremely hard rock – similar to quartzite.

[…]

14 Likes
12 Likes

Toes, it turns out, are very important to walking properly.

8 Likes

I think this is anthropology rather than archaeology. Don’t know if it’s part of the actual definition, but to me, archaeology involves unearthing, uncovering, digging up artefacts. Not just picking them up from where they’ve been dropped.

Also @FGD135 I thought @Doctor_Faustus was the resident archaeologist?

3 Likes

I am, and I know Ralph

10 Likes

Thank you! Wasn’t referring to a specific post by @FGD135 but was just wondering if I’d remembered wrongly about you being an archaeologist and had confused you with him.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t really post a lot of archaeology articles, unless it is something that really excites (or enrages) me

8 Likes
13 Likes

Fascinating!

Well preserved spices found in 500-year-old Gribshunden shipwreck in Baltic Sea off Sweden

10 Likes

If, as one hypothesis goes, on the coast, they marked springs accessible at low tide, then one at the lake would make sense.

eta: As I recall, drinking water is limited on the island. That the lake has gone that dry sounds like a serious problem for the inhabitants.

11 Likes

“Oops my bad!” - Some unfortunate curator

9 Likes
10 Likes

Proto Birkenstocks?

13 Likes