Arizona legislators approve ban on filming police

I’d add South Dakota and Alabama to that list. There are more, just can’t think of them right now.

9 Likes

Welcome to the Race to the Bottom Derby. Aaaaand they’re off! And it’s Florida, Florida ahead by a nose with an early lead, now Texas right behind makes a push, Idaho comes around the first turn swiftly and takes the lead, and picking up the pace it’s Arizona, Arizona at the halfway point with several more states still in contention!

11 Likes

Oh, I know why. I want THEM to say it.

9 Likes

Slightly off topic- but does anyone know of an app that automatically uploads video taken to the cloud? Maybe one that sends a notification to a trusted person when used? So they can copy or post immediately as appropriate

10 Likes

I don’t know anything about the app, but found one.
https://copwatch.app

8 Likes

I was considering going to TX to view the 2024 solar eclipse, and incidentally visit Johnson Space Center. Ohio, also on the line of totality and where I actually have a place to stay, has a traditional ‘first part of April’ blizzard. The last couple of years are making me rethink any Texas visit soon.

11 Likes

Just to be clear. I’m not saying we should hide these images away and any offense the public takes to seeing this is irrelevant. I was really just thinking of his family and friends having to continuously see that image while the rest of the world becomes desensitized to it. I agree I could be totally wrong about this. It’s a complicated conversation to have in a comments thread.

So basically it doesn’t actually prohibit anything (which would be unconstitutional) but does provide a cover for police to exercise brutality because of an “honest misunderstanding” of the law? Which somehow is an acceptable answer for police but nobody else is allowed to plead ignorance?

2 Likes

The ACLU has one that automatically uploads to their servers.

9 Likes

I was really just thinking of his family and friends having to continuously see that image while the rest of the world becomes desensitized to it.

So maybe ask around and find out what Black people generally think of whether such images should be displayed without warning, before condemning it? Maybe even members of such families?

I agree I could be totally wrong about this.

Could Be 90 Day Fiance GIF by TLC Europe

12 Likes

The people who seek power rarely are the “good guys”, and the ones that are soon find themselves corrupted or absolutely obstructed by a corrupt system.

It’s festering assholes all the way up (with only a few exceptions).

6 Likes

Hmmmm, seems all the legislators in Arizona are exactly like the executives of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

1 Like

You may not fully have understood the author’s intent. Authors often use strong and graphic language and images to indicate just how important an issue is and as a an example of the types of effect an action may have.

Using the example of this incident- which was so very important in causing a broader discussion of all these police assaults and murders that occurred throughout our history and only came to be prosecuted because the public videoed the murder is a valid comment on the disgusting history of violence and the chilling effect such a law would have. It would lead to more of these murders which would not be prosecuted.

One must always weigh competing interests and effects in one’s actions. Is your slight discomfort more important than these heinous acts?

21 Likes

Filming? No, this is rapid-shot photograpy.

Further proving that the police are always guilty

1 Like

Secrecy begets Tyranny.

Public scrutiny is one of our strongest protections against abuse under color of law.

I do believe these same tyrants preach “The innocent have nothing to fear” when instituting their own rules that treat the Constitution as an annoyance,

This is unmitigated evil. Surprising how often body cams are “accidentally” not running during nasty interactions.

5 Likes

I only wish I could give you more up votes for your post. Thank you.

5 Likes

john-goodman-stop-it

Anything good I got to say comes from years of studying history and, more importantly, trying hard to listen to people who are wiser or have had different life experiences then me.

9 Likes

We’re on a different timeline in Minneapolis. You mention the importance of launching a broader discussion, but within a week of George Floyd’s murder, a majority of city council members came together and publicly committed to dismantling the police department, replacing it with a Department of Public Safety organized around social work, support resources, nonviolent conflict resolution, and de-escalation. For once actual policymakers really got it, would talk excitedly about how it could work and how it might be organized. It felt like there was a real chance for change. And all of that hope was completely and utterly destroyed.

• Doing this required amending the city charter with a citywide vote. The council raced to prepare a charter amendment to make it onto the November 2020 ballot, while there was still momentum for change. But it was quashed by the Charter Commission, an unelected group of mostly monied conservatives appointed by a single judge. They declared that the process was too rushed, and that the amendment question would not be allowed on the ballot for another year.
  • In the meantime, MPD engaged in a slowdown in every supporting councilmember’s ward. Crime went up, and when people complained about lack of response, police would tell them they were stretched too thin, and “ask your councilmember why.”
  • In December 2020, MPD shot and killed Dolal Idd in a failed sting operation, blocks away from where they murdered George Floyd months before.
  • In April 2021, the murderer Derek Chauvin’s trial was the only news in the city. We listened to the testimony of traumatized teenagers. We watched George Floyd die over and over. During the trial, police in neighboring Brooklyn Park shot and killed Daunte Wright during a routine traffic stop.
  • In June 2021, federal marshals with MPD support killed Winston Smith in Uptown, about a mile away from George Floyd Square. No one had a working bodycam.
  • The Public Safety charter amendment finally goes on the ballot in November 2021. In the months leading up to the election, a dark-money group calling itself “All of Minneapolis” bombard the city with mailers and ads promoting our feckless mayor and his claim to have banned no-knock warrants, among other police reforms. It strongly implies that the charter amendment would abolish the police and leave nothing in its place. It goes after every change agent on the ballot. In the end, they win solidly, defeating the amendment, flipping the city council and quashing all hope for change.
  • In February 2022, MPD executes a no-knock warrant (apparently not banned) and kills Amir Locke. Locke was a houseguest and not named in the warrant.
  • Two days ago, the new city council approved a new union contract with MPD, which includes raises and bonuses, no new discipline requirements, and requires the city to reveal the identity of any citizen who makes a police public records request.

All of this and every day here there’s something that evokes George Floyd and how we continue to fail him. For many people, that image is incredibly re-traumatizing. Yes, it is vitally important. But I still don’t think asking for a content warning was out of line.

3 Likes

i mean here’s the deal: lots of employees are filmed during their everyday employment. from grocery store workers to bank tellers. it’s often framed as being for public safety while truly being about theft… theft by the employees as much as anyone else

it’s no different here to expect that - as a cop preforming their theoretically official duties out in the public eye - they can be recorded

now, if they’re not on the job, if they’re not flashing their badge? then they do deserve the same right to privacy as we have. ( which, frankly isn’t much. or so most cops would have us believe. )

if they don’t have anything to hide, then why should they worry?

8 Likes

Apparently- the power of that image was effective in provoking a broader discussion for Minneapolis.

7 Likes