Arizona realtor surprised to find Canadian "white hat" hacker talking to him through his smart doorbell

Ding-dong…

smashing a window is not the same as going trough an already open one, right?

the realtor seemed just very, very sloppy with his personal security-measures; from the motherboard-article:

Gregg told the newspaper that the hacker told him his private information had been “compromised,” and recited to Gregg a password that he had used for multiple websites. Since Gregg used the same password for his Nest…

There have been numerous data breaches that leaked usernames, emails, and passwords for millions of people, and databases containing such information are bought and sold online

3 Likes

and who can blame them? I dont get it quite exactly what you are trying to say.

Apply opaque tape over webcam / laptop camera eye(s), remove when required.

1 Like

Ok, That makes sense. I was curious if it was some actual hole in the system instead of just bad account management.

At this stage I use 64 character random hashes for passwords and I’ve started generating a separate email addresses for each service with a random hash as a large segment the email address.

Even if that stuff leaks it won’t correspond to any other account.

1 Like

At least it wasn’t on the audio/video feed of the baby monitor.

If the realtor also had Alexa or Google Home, he might be getting some surprising deliveries in the next few days.

XKCD

4 Likes

Hmm. Maybe doorbells could be hacked to combust?

(This is IoT. There must be at least one type of circuit board out there that is so badly designed that you can make it overheat.)

So you’re sayin’ false flag?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.