Arizona realtor surprised to find Canadian "white hat" hacker talking to him through his smart doorbell

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/17/dont-recycle-passwords.html

7 Likes

Sorry for telling you the bad news eh? But you might wanna change your password and turn on the two-factor.

18 Likes
14 Likes

I’m thinking about my door bell
When ya gonna ring it, when ya gonna ring it?

At 4am, repeatedly for hours, from Poland.

23 Likes

There was a time when people got their most important advice from bushes, not doorbells.

35 Likes

This shouldn’t be an eye-opener anymore. This should be completely unsurprising in the same way getting pulled over for speeding is unsurprising. You decided to take a risk in return for some amount of convenience hoping no one would notice what you’re doing. When someone does notice just hope it’s a nice cop in a good mood.

6 Likes

There’s a reason i don’t want any smart devices at home, even a smart TV. Not interested ]:

20 Likes

Damn Canadians. Always being so polite.

12 Likes

Oh Canada!

7 Likes

The door refused to open. It said, "Five bitcoin, please.”

7 Likes

So does this work if I just start walking in to peoples’ houses through what ever means?

“Bro, bro. Dude, it’s cool. I am a white hat breaker and enterer. You got a lot of windows made of glass. Anyone can just bust them open, climb in, and stand over you watching you sleep for the last hour. You might want to tighten up that security, bro, before a bad guy breaks in.”

1 Like

At our office party this year, they were giving out 'Amazon Echo’s for door prizes.

o_0

I didn’t win, but if I had, you’d best believe I’d have never even opened the package. I would sell it on E-Bay or Craig’s List, for slightly cheaper than whatever it costs on Amazon.

14 Likes

Somewhat unsurprisingly, even that seems to have its own problems. See https://www.darkreading.com/identity-and-access-management/the-problem-with-two-factor-authentication/d/d-id/1113697

3 Likes

There is just no way to help users with security. As good as your system is, many users will see it as Big Brother impinging on their freedom, and subvert it.

Or better yet, stop this internet of things nonsense and start living a normal life like any other normal person would.

12 Likes

The pattern of IoT adoption has some parallels to the Dunning-Kruger curve. The people who buy into it are those who are excited about tech gadgets, but not experts enough to really understand that most gadgets are terrible, will not be supported properly by their manufacturers, and not only shouldn’t be relied upon for anything important, but should be handled with the constant suspicion that they’re probably being used to spy on you.

5 Likes

I just never use the internet, ever, for anything. That solves a lot of problems.

10 Likes

Only if you’re Canadian.

In which case:

5 Likes

It’s hard to believe the white hat is actually from Canada, without the use of the interjection “eh”. He did say “like” a few times so maybe California.

So what was the hack? Or did he just find the guys password in a forum or something?