SimpliSafe bypassed with $2 gadget

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/07/simplisafe-bypassed-with-2-ga.html

7 Likes

But surely thieves don’t watch YouTube. Right?

4 Likes

And this is why you don’t trust the security of your residence to a company that advertises on podcasts.

9 Likes

Go ahead with your little 433Mhz clicker, come on in!

3 Likes

If you’re reading this in America be aware that it is illegal in all 50 states to have a “set gun” trap IRL, (movies are acceptable). :unamused:

(Edit for @jra :wink: )

3 Likes

I like the LPL’s suggestion that if you feel you must post signs proclaiming your house to have an alarm that you should get signs for a different system so as not to give burglars the information they need to defeat your system.

7 Likes

Unless it is in a movie…

2 Likes

Trust me, if he’s figured it out, so have most thieves worried about bypassing it rather than kicking your door in or smashing the window.

Not publicizing security flaws doesn’t make you safer. It just means that you can feel safe in your ignorance, while spending $$$ on things that don’t do anything more for you than a literal blanket.

3 Likes

I just finished wiring my new house for all the alarm items… nothing is wireless, there’s 22/4 to all the windows and doors, Cat5 for 4 cameras, shielded 22/4 for keypads and glass/motions sensors. Also lines for water leaks & master-valve shutoff, spare lines for future devices. 30 years ago I worked as an alarm installer… yeah… forgot how much work it was… I was 30 years younger too…

My uncle had a wireless system years ago, he kept the base unit/siren in the oven because it would go off all the time (usually when his cordless phone was in use). Useless.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.