Arizona repeals 1864 abortion ban

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/02/arizona-repeals-1864-abortion-ban.html

10 Likes

Good news… although, it’ll apparently take a while to kick in?

12 Likes

Welcome back to the 21st century, Arizona.

9 Likes

that is still to be determined, but on this issue i will agree

5 Likes

bullshit! this is just a ploy to deny they ever wanted the old law. If they win the election, just watch them put it back on. You can’t trust people like Kari Lake.

8 Likes

“Holy nuts, we look like complete loons and it’s going to kill us in our elections in a few months, let’s get this repealed ASAP!”

Typical GOP, don’t do anything until it affects them.

Edit - Read summary, not article…GOP didn’t do jack, as posted in detail below.

10 Likes

Or at least the mid-20th Century.

7 Likes

Uhhh…Republicans voted against repealing the law. There’s no ploy here. It’s mostly the Democrats who repealed the law, with the support of very few Republicans. And Kari Lake isn’t in office, and she’s not running for a local office in Arizona. She’s running for US Senate. If she should win (God forbid) she won’t be able to reinstate that law in Arizona.

Again…the GOP is NOT responsible for repealing this law. Don’t give them credit for this. Democrats are resonsible for this repeal. Republicans voted against repeal. Their masks are still off.

18 Likes

I believe Beau of the Fifth column reported that 2 Republican House Members and 3 Republican Senate membors voted to repeal the act - ALL of the other Arizona GOP politicians voted to keep it.

10 Likes

Exactly. There’s no hint of the GOP going, “OMG we screwed up and have to undo this!” None. Instead, they just tried to double down.

5 Likes

A 15 week ban is still draconian. Unfortunately it does seem that abortion bans are part of 21st century America, so I guess your point still stands albeit without particularly positive connotations.

2 Likes

I’m glad they were able to do this. Not only does it bring AZ law from total insanity to partial insanity, it also calls the bluffs of all the republican legislators in AZ who might have hoped to use rhetoric condemning the 19th century law and suggesting N-week bans instead as a way of seeming to be moderate. When it came time to vote, almost all of them voted to keep the total ban and keep an N-week ban from coming into force. I hope voters remember that in November.

4 Likes

EXACTLY. You are 100% correct. Do not trust these f**kers.

2 Likes

Reasonably you’d expect Republicans would be doing that, as they’re very much the dog that caught the car… but they’re not. I don’t know if they’re so used to holding positions that are incredibly unpopular (but still having their voters vote for them, from a position of total ignorance) that they don’t realize this is different, or they’re simply counting on taking/holding power through undemocratic means…

3 Likes

Coming from Ohio, I’m surprised that it only took 2 or 3 Republican defections in each house to turn the tide. Then I remembered that redistricting reform actually worked down there.

2 Likes

No, they aren’t 100% correct because, again, the GOP had NOTHING to do with repealing this. This was all Democrats. Stop giving the fuckers credit for something they didn’t do.

6 Likes

True enough. No credit should have been given.

4 Likes

You’re 100% right. I didn’t read the story until your response and took the summary to mean that at least a decent portion of the GOP would have voted with the Dems. I was shocked to find out it was 3 total.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.