Michigan governor repeals 1931 abortion ban

Originally published at: Michigan governor repeals 1931 abortion ban | Boing Boing

18 Likes

The Michigan legislature repealed the ban, not the governor. Saying that the governor repealed the ban when she actually just signed the legislation to enact the repeal seems to show a misunderstanding of the typical legislative process.

Betty White Ok Love GIF

15 Likes

Behind The Scenes GIF by BET Awards

13 Likes

Your

appears to include what a governor actually does, but please, tell us how we are all idiots.

Angela Lansbury Popcorn GIF

16 Likes

As long as it took effect legally, I don’t care if it was enacted by a Little Green (Wo)man.

8 Likes

The governor didn’t create the legislation to repeal the abortion ban or participate in the vote to pass it. This could have more accurately said “Michigan repeals 1931 abortion ban” because it took a lot more than the governor’s signature on the legislation to do it.

1 Like

Gee, it’s almost like you care way more about “being right” than you do about the right to bodily autonomy being preserved in MI state law.

18 Likes

I mean, people still credit Henry Ford with the Model T, even though his employees designed it. She’s the boss, and as such, leads the team. :man_shrugging:

Not to mention…wimmins. :man_shrugging:

She’s a lawyer and former legislator who served in the Michigan House of Representatives from 2001 to 2006 and in the Michigan Senate from 2006 to 2015. It’s not like she’s some glorified secretary.

13 Likes

You wouldn’t believe how many stories you see about a president or governor doing this or that, when it’s clearly their administration. Either every news source and historian is horribly confused about how government works, or it’s a metonymy.

14 Likes

Hey, let’s focus on the important part that all us Michigan women really care about - pedantry! :roll_eyes:

14 Likes

protesting occupy wall street GIF

“Who cares about the tiny fucking details that don’t affect them personally?”
Some fucking dude!
“When does he want it?”
All the time, apparently!

10 Likes

Ummm, I think you’re forgetting that the important thing is to diminish everything our governor does because she took away our gyms or something. /s

6 Likes

Well, ak-tu-ally…

A (slim) majority of Michigan legislators passed the bill that Gov. Whitmer signed off on to finalise (something that would not have happened if a Republican was governor). Saying that “the Michigan legislature repealed the ban” leaves room for the assumption that the vote was unanimous.

Now of course a typical reader here might just assume that saying “the Michigan legislature repealed the ban” implies a majority vote, just as one might assume that the headline implies that the legislature first voted on it. But since you’re claiming that you know better than the author or the readers on that second matter you really owe us some precision of your own on the first.

[Do I get the covered Pedant Pendant now?]

7 Likes

Whitmer ran for a second term in November, part of her platform was protecting abortion rights in our state.

She’s a leader and without her this may not even got to her desk. She also used her governor power to get a case to the Michigan Supreme Court to get an injunction to that law while the constitutional amendment made it through the ballot process.

In other words, my Governor is a bad ass and knows how to get stuff done.

We are all very proud to have her in charge of our state.

11 Likes

signing it is the governor voting to enact it

if she didn’t sign it it wouldn’t be a law, would it

11 Likes

Covered? Is it insured? :wink:

4 Likes

It’s covered by the Annoying Autocorrect Arras.

4 Likes

Oh, I know what we should be mad at! We couldn’t pay other people to cut and/or dye our hair for several months! Yes, that’s why we should still be mad that she signed legislation ensuring our bodily autonomy for generations to come. /s. so, so many s’s.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.