Arizona Senate votes to seize assets of those who plan, participate in protests that turn violent

From the linked article: “Sen. Sylvia Allen, R-Snowflake, said the new criminal laws are necessary”. How precious.

8 Likes

Ut oh, you just incited violence!

Also, you can add in the First and the Fifth.

4 Likes

I’m starting the think Republicans aren’t really thinking through some of the things they’re throwing out there.

10 Likes

The first quote is from the 5th.

2 Likes

<trivia type=“odd local place names”>

Snowflake, AZ is not named for its climate (it snows occasionally, but not often), but because it was founded by Mormon pioneers Erastus Snow and William Jordan Flake.

No, really. In fact, US Senator Jeff Flake, R-AZ, was born in Snowflake, and is a great-great grandson of ol’ Wm. J. hisself.

</trivia>

15 Likes

Since one way or another this will eventually have its day in court I hope my donation to the ACLU will prove to be money well spent. Because if laws like this stand they’ll soon be nationwide and it will just be money, well, spent.

8 Likes

Also polygamous in the post-Reformation diaspora. (Still some quiet polygamy on the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell basis in the late 80s, before Colorado City went off the rails again.) The Snows mostly moved on to Fredonia (yep, free women) and the Flakes stayed.

Not all of the Allens are as batshit as this one, but I spent my last two years of high school there. And fighting with my AP History “teacher” to get him to stick sort of near the curriculum instead of going off on a gold-bugging, New World Order conspiracy theory-ing, Bo Gritz and Mormons will enslave the world when everyone is put in FEMA camps and the Mormons take their rightful place as dictators. I spent more time in the vice-principal’s office than in class that year. (Also, was the only one to take and pass the AP Am His test.) That I was objecting to conspiracy theory 101 in the late 80s is not entirely surprising – conspiracy theory just doesn’t work – but that I was the first one ever to object to the Veep, the Principal and the school board was surprising.

The Fire In The Sky alien abductee? He was from there, too. There is something in the water and it is not good.

8 Likes

Suddenly there are 49 states.

In fairness, this move might as well have come from Stalin’s own playbook.

7 Likes

Looks like a way to skirt our constitutional right to gather and protest. If you’re scared to attend a protest because it MIGHT become violent, that in effect, removes your right. Especially in the age of the agent provocateur. Suddenly, your innocent town halls are gonna end up in fisticuffs and everyone in the area gets to give up their assets.
ORWACALCONMNVEXIT!

11 Likes

Actually, this year I think California is going to tell Colorado “Keep your (P!#*&$)#!! water!!”

3 Likes

So this is good news for you, then! Finally us rowdy anarchists will be rounded up, and the way will be clear for you to fix everything with Operation Staid And Peaceful. Sorry I won’t be able to help out, what with the being rounded up and all. But hey, that’s what I get for being an attention-hungry idiot, eh?

Good luck though, I’m sure once Trump realizes how principled and reasonable the remaining populace is (minus the anarkiddies), he’ll shape up in no time.

4 Likes

This incintivization of portraying protesters of any stripe as violent has zero conflict of interest at all. Nothing to see here. Move along citizen, nevermind we aren’t actually LETTING you move. STOP RESISTING.

5 Likes

It’s good news only in the sense that serious protest organisers are wising up to the fact that anarkiddies who practise Black Bloc tactics are poison to any demo that wants to convince more people to resist the right-wing populist regime.

Don’t worry, though, the anarkiddies won’t be rounded up: they’re too useful as infiltration vectors for police agents (pay no attention to the boots!) and serve the MSM’s agenda of painting all protesters as violent thugs (hey, look, a decommissioned police cruiser parked next to a Starbucks!). Plus, with this law they’ll also be generating revenue for the state of Arizona.

2 Likes

You would appear to be mistaken:

But again, I don’t expect your sympathy. After all, these 200+ people were almost definitely all on the police payroll! Or wait, they’re just stupid impulsive kids with rocks for brains? No, it’s that they’re being manipulated by conservatives to justify a crackdown! It’s hard to keep all the conspiracy theories straight anymore. But what’s for sure is that they’re not legitimate or in any way on our side. Definite enemies. Deserve whatever they get.

1 Like

So… When’s the next RNC event in Arizona?

2 Likes

No conspiracy. As I said earlier, whether they’re infiltrated or not the anarkiddies who use Black Bloc tactics are still stupid impulsive kids who serve a purpose for the authorities by trying to foment violence in the midst of otherwise peaceful demonstrations. That’s why those who organised the Women’s Marches and the pro-immigrant and airport demos have asked them to stop “helping.”

Your article is a case in point. There’s a reason that those 230 arrests happened on the Friday before the major protests occurred – no-one wanted them around for the peaceful Saturday protest in DC, where almost 600k protestors showed up with far fewer arrests per capita, to much greater effect.

In contrast, serious anarchists (i.e. adults who’ve taken the time to study the intellectual underpinnings of the cause they’ve invested themselves in) have their part to play in protests. From what I’ve seen they tend to focus on “boring” contributions that somehow add value despite their not involving various masks, cool black paramilitary apparel, Molotov cocktails, brickbats, and showing off for the hot girls and boys in the squat.

7 Likes

WTF Arizona.

6 Likes

^ literally who you are writing to. Shall we do a No True Scotsman thing where my support for militant action is used to prove that I am not a true adult, or not truly serious? We could also try to imply that if I was serious, I would contribute in “positive ways”, aiming to slip by the assumption that those who support militance never do anything but riot, and don’t spend the rest of their time building and maintaining vital community resources.

It’s almost as though popular resistance can’t be flattened into a binary of “good protesters” and “bad protesters”, like perhaps we need and benefit from each other in deep and complex ways. Nah, couldn’t be.

4 Likes

The Gadsden Purchase part of Arizona anyway. Mexico could follow Trump’s lead by saying the sale was a bad deal and they’re taking it back. As a Gadsden resident I’m not sure being part of Mexico would be much worse than the repressive dystopia we seem to be headed for.

3 Likes