Arizona Senate votes to seize assets of those who plan, participate in protests that turn violent

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/23/arizona-senate-votes-to-seize.html

12 Likes

Looks like Joe is getting a lot of work this week

43 Likes

And there you have it. IS your constitution strong enough to withstand the assaults of those who hate it?

49 Likes

The Mississippi of the South West is at it again.

21 Likes

Suggested Optimization:
Undercover officers sent as agent provocateurs, having succeeded, shall seize assets of peaceful participants, random passersby, one another, etc.

46 Likes

Doesn’t seem like it, does it?

Yep…

I’m sure it’s coming.

14 Likes

Suppliers of agents provocateurs must be set to do a roaring business.

At least the government is actually helping create jobs!

20 Likes

“No person shall be…deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.”

“nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.”

Dear Republican legislator-assholes,

You pick the orifice, the Constitution will provide the material, and we’ll provide the shoving action.

Sincerely,
Fuck You

61 Likes

What a strange law. Civil forfeiture is starting to be reformed in some of the states (even abolished in New Mexico), but Arizona is one of the states where they just consider it a great way to get around the Constitution!

If I understand this correctly, they imagine that all the protesters have fat savings accounts, which if they seize, then they won’t be able to protest anymore, because they’ll have to go get a job. What’s next, forced labor camps?

26 Likes

The 2nd Amendment proponents should be really adamant that this doesn’t pass.

History from the future:

This bill passes

Some gun control bill comes up, 2nd supporters outraged, stage protest

Anti-gun protesters / agent provocateurs / black-bloc assholes come out, smash some windows, and uh oh.

bye bye bang sticks (oh, and tons of new reasons to pass that gun control bill)

People should really have the idea driven home by now, the enemy of your enemy is not your friend when it comes to government. It’s only a matter of time before your ideology loses it’s shine and now those tools created so you could gleefully rub your hands together at the thought of using against your ideological ‘opposite’, are now turned on you.

Government, as it stands, views you (no matter who you are) as a current necessary evil. When you’re not on top, you’re not necessary.

25 Likes

What’s to stop the state or someone else from hiring agents provocateurs to damage property, thereby giving the state an excuse to strip peaceful protestors of their homes and assets?

Nothing at all. The Black Bloc anarkiddies will become a source of revenue for the state whether or not the cops decide to take on the very easy job of infiltrating those attention-hungry idiots.

19 Likes

Sen. John Kavanagh, R-Fountain Hills<<

And that explains everything. Fountain Hills is where the Venn Diagram of retirees and “even Scottsdale is beneath me” meet. As a testament to their sheer dickery, the middle of town has a GIANT FUCKING FOUNTAIN visible from the freeway. You know, IN THE DESERT!. It’s all McMansions and golf courses.

Can we seize his district for causing violence on the area’s ecosystem?

Disclaimer: This may have changed. I haven’t lived in Phoenix in a while, but my dad’s family is out there, and I visit enough to have an idea that this is likely still true.

24 Likes
20 Likes

Thank you for mentioning these guys. We see them so often in DC and we know who they are, but the world at large just assumes it’s regular protesters thanks to the media.

13 Likes

So if the KKK hold a official meet up with grand wizards etc and a leaderless flash mod shows up theirs nuttiness does the Klan lose there shit?

15 Likes

I think serious protest organisers are learning, though. It seems that the organisers of the women’s and immigrants’ marches (grown-ups with serious stuff at stake under the current regime) made it very clear that these arseholes were not welcome to participate. Demos organised by students or anti-globalist or Communist orgs (like the Stalinists of International ANSWER) still let the violent anarkiddies in, though (along with various other clowns who allow the MSM to discredit the larger protest).

10 Likes

This is really it, isn’t it? If this stands, other insane states will follow, and disagreement will be punished by…whats the word, where the state steals all a person owns to punish that person? It’s a special term, I know, but it escapes me at this moment.

9 Likes

In arizona? from what I hear, yes.

Looks like it’s still there: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fountain+Hills,+AZ+85268/@33.6017144,-111.7141644,968m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x872b989061a57cd1:0xbeacef3478713137!8m2!3d33.6042079!4d-111.7256936

4 Likes

When a country starts passing a lot of laws dealing with protests, that coutry is in real trouble.

Here’s another:

21 Likes