Arizona tried to illegally import an execution drug not approved for use in U.S

I caught his drift, Manson was the closest non-fiction character I could quickly come up with.

There are three types of torture -

• The style advocated by Cheney, Bush, and Berkeley Law Professor John Yoo, where you can get any answer you want out of a “suspect”
  • Pain as a punishment.
  • Pain as a spectacle.

If I were to be put to death unjustly, I’d gladly accept the third one as a way to bring attention to the sincerity of my convictions.

1 Like

Yup, marketed under the brand name Sodium Pentothal. Not so much “unable to lie” as “weaken their resolve to withhold the truth, and make them more compliant to pressure”.

3 Likes

Ah, sorry!

1 Like

Death by imprisonment.
I support that, yes.

No one actually believes in “state’s rights”. They have goals, and they think that “state’s rights” will help or hinder in achieving their goals. Like before the Civil War, southern states were all about “state’s rights” when it came to state laws protecting slavery, but were very much in favor of federal laws restricting the rights of northern states to pass laws that freed slaves or prevented runaway slaves from being recaptured.

“State’s Rights” are a smokescreen. If someone tells you they’re for “State’s Rights”, you know they’re either an idiot or they think you are.

2 Likes

Or both!

1 Like

The argument could be made for the public seeing some these people’s victims and families.

1 Like

Why? What did he do wrong? He is a county sheriff. The state of Arizona tried to import the drugs–not him or his county.

The photo that is part of the story mentions him by name, and he’s been such a dangerous jerk on every aspect of “law enforcement” that I just assumed he was part of it.

Reading the linked article, I see no names or positions given, just “Arizona”, so I don’t know if he’s actually involved or not.

So, yeah you’re right: I assumed, and could very well be wrong.

He’s still a dangerous asshole, though!

Further down the thread I stated my ideal world situation.

Ideally, criminals we don’t want interacting with human society get inserted into their own personal “matrix” in such a way that they have no ability to tell the difference. Once inside they can do whatever they feel, without consequences (also done in such a way that they’ll never be able to tell if they’re in real life or a personal simulation. Also the agents within such a simulation wouldn’t care whether they’re participants. It’s an ideal world. I can tweak it to whoever’s content.)

I thinkk we already have that.

I assume that statistic doesn’t refer exclusively to point-blank, base of the brain stem shots.

Except other inmates, guards, and prison staff- And there are a lot of people who get killed in prison. That’s my big issue- That even in prison, certain people are still a danger to others, and some kid in there for petty theft doesn’t deserve to be raped and murdered by another inmate. The only alternative is 24/7 isolation, which I actually think is more cruel and inhumane than execution.

2 Likes

I think you’ve answered your own question.

2 Likes

That is indeed the wording in the constitution, cruel and unusual rather than cruel or unusual.

It’s because of things like this that I generally support the EU project.

www.cbsnews.com

Mexican drug lord’s brazen tunnel escape

Mexico's most prized prisoner, drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, 56, escaped from a maximum security prison for a second time through an elaborate one-mile ventilated, well-lit underground tunnel complete with a motorcycle on rails July 11, 2015.

A widespread manhunt that includes highway checkpoints, stepped up border security and closure of an international airport has so far failed to turn up any trace of Guzman, the notorious leader of the Sinoloa drug cartel

I agree with you, but feel compelled to add that ultimately the problem is based in our retributive, vengeful prison system which doesn’t even pretend to care about rehabilitation.

2 Likes

To a very, very large extent I agree with you. The way I see it, we have two issues with the justice system- Firstly, how we define what is and isn’t a “crime” (which is a whole discussion in and of itself).

More relevantly, the way I see it, people commit crimes for one of three reasons- Passion, profit, or pathology.

Anyone can commit a crime of passion. A regular upstanding moral person can be pushed to the breaking point by a lover’s betrayal or financial hardship, but a strong social safety net and healthy sex education is likely to reduce the likelyhood of this sort of thing, and psychotherapy is almost guaranteed to prevent someone from reoffending. These people for the most part need treatment, not prison.

Crimes of profit, where someone causes harm in order to get something, again can often be prevented with a strong safety net- But when they occur, should absolutely be punished. When that is said and done, however, most people can be rehabilitated, and we should really work towards that.

It’s the third category. People who rape and kill because they enjoy it and can’t help themselves. Serial killers, child molesters, serial rapists- These are people who can’t be fixed, and who aren’t safe for any other humans to be around. Those are the cases where we’re down to 24/7 solitary, execution, or some kind of Clockwork Orange level “treatment” too horrific for me to even think about. There’s no good option there, but at least, these cases are incredibly rare… Which may be part of the problem- Our justice system isn’t designed for exceptions.

1 Like

I think you’ve outlined the situation very well. We would have a workable number of inmates, and thus could start figuring out HOW to properly handle them, if our laws and support network didn’t conspire against a significant portion of the population.

1 Like