Arm falls off 19th century mummy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/28/arm-falls-off-19th-century-mummy.html

4 Likes

The National Institute of Anthropology and History, INAH, said that during recent renovations at the museum where the mummified bodies are on permanent display, the arm of one of the mummies, well, came off.

Knew they should’ve thought through that paint-mixer on the other side of the wall

1 Like

I visited that museum in the 90’s. It was fascinating but it started to feel a bit disturbing when a few of the mummies were clearly wearing items from the early 20th century. I’m not sure why that was a problem for me when mummies from the 19th century, or from 3000 BCE, weren’t. A double standard in human remains that I never quite reconciled.

2 Likes

Deja Vu. In Dublin, in the Church of St. Michan, there is the mummified body of “The Crusader”. He is an unusually large individual, whose legs were broken so he would fit in a normal sized coffin. Up until the 1970s, visitors could shake hands with the crusader. Unfortunately someone was a little too vigorous, and you can’t do that any more.

8 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.