Arrested for "stealing" food that grocery chain threw away

See? This is why we can’t have, uh, nice things.

There’s also the issue of inventory control and profit. In the grocery biz, the profit margins are razor-thin. Every loaf of bread tossed takes with it the profit from twenty loaves that sell. Imagine a do-gooder employee who knowingly orders a slightly larger shipment than is likely to sell, just to guarantee a little dumpster-dining for their pals, some less-fortunate patrons of said dumpster who actually turn out to be real people, willing swap some interesting stories out back whenever do-gooder goes out for a smoke in exchange for a bummed cigarette. I’m not advocating this sort of prosecution, merely pointing out that, like so many other real-world problems, there are probably layers to the onion invisible to the casual observer.

I know that locally, stores do give away food - to homeless shelters, etc. (who weren’t going to be a direct customer anyways), although they rely on the shelters picking up the food. That’s mostly produce - everything else is increasingly going to discount grocery stores that sell expired food, because it is indeed fit for consumption (and they can sell it, as the expiry date is essentially arbitrary).

So the case has been dropped now anyway but it’s worth pointing out that Iceland say they didn’t call the police or report the men and had nothing to do with the charges. Apparently the store is next to a police station so presumably said police were bored and fancied wasting tax payers’ money (as well as food).

3 Likes

So you’re saying that littering and identity theft should be crimes. They are. I agree.

Similarly, distracted driving is a crime (at least in most of the US, IDK about the UK).

What I don’t understand is why dumpster diving (or in my analogy, cell phone use) needs to be a separate, additional crime. Why is dumspter diving + littering worse than just some number of counts of littering?

3 Likes

As someone who just became homeless. Yes it is a pretty good instruction manual. And a very good book.

Pirate Cinema is not an instruction manual, gang. — Cory

implying that Mr. Doctorow was the first to suggest digging in dumpsters for food. I have been eating dumpstered pizza for eight years.

For certain values of “nice things”, including “homeless people not being punished for eatting someone else’s trash”.

Your experience is somewhat limited then. In my experience most people that dumpster dive are incredibly conscious about not only leaving a scene tidy, but also go as far as removing some* recyclable items from the trash and transfer them to nearby recycle bins; their prerogative is to reduce waste from the offset. Besides, as pointed out by @AnthonyC there is no need for dumpster diving to be a crime when the problems you’ve identified are already crimes.

*As time permits. Annoyingly, most dumpster divers realise they can get in trouble for their actions, and don’t like to stick around too long.

3 Likes

The dumpster near one of the apartment complexes I lived in Seattle was raided all the time. Walking outside in the morning and seeing the trashbag that I threw out the night before ripped open and tossed onto the ground with its contents scattered near the dumpster is something I will never forget. I quickly learned not to throw out anything that could be used for identity theft since dumpster diving is one of the main sources of documents. I also learned to make sure my trash was deep in the dumpster so that I wouldn’t get embarrassed again.

Screw dumpster divers. Throw them in jail. If they want to scavenge, make them do it at the dump or recycling center with controls that ensure they don’t take any identity papers. Or make them negotiate with the apartment or store owners for permission.

If Pirate Cinema is not an instruction manual, then what is it? YA Fantasy?

Just read your last comment on another post. You criticise someone for not arguing like an adult, yet…

Screw dumpster divers. Throw them in jail.

All whilst ignoring raised issue that both littering and identity theft are already crimes.

If they want to scavenge, make them do it at the dump or recycling center with controls that ensure they don’t take any identity papers. Or make them negotiate with the apartment or store owners for permission.

The people in this story were scavenging for fresh food, not identity papers; food that won’t be even remotely fresh by the time it reaches any dump.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.