Art, artists, and art news

2 Masterpieces Reveal the Big Bang Moment of Our Art Universe

3 Likes

Happy National Illustration Day (UK).

6 Likes
3 Likes

Not news, just the Disneys visiting the Dalis in Spain, having tapas.

7 Likes

Oh, we forgot we gave it to you for safekeeping. :man_shrugging:

https://edition.cnn.com/style/lost-botticelli-masterpiece-found-italy-intl-scli/index.html

2 Likes
3 Likes

If you enjoy interesting art (not necessarily huge), you might like the This is Colossal blog. Many wonderful things here.

3 Likes

I found this video because I found some of this woman’s art on social media and was just, I dunno, really into it:

Then ended up watching this interview with her and found it really interesting especially towards the end where you can literally watch her studio burn to the ground. I’m glad to see she’s still making work after that.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Will cross post to the music thread… it’s an interview from the early 80s…

3 Likes

This threw me for a minute… I was reading the interview and thinking, didn’t United States come out like 40 years ago?

This book looks like an excellent read, BTW:

https://bookshop.org/p/books/transfigured-new-york-interviews-with-experimental-artists-and-musicians-1980-1990/20097507

3 Likes

This looks really interesting.

Thirty-six years ago, Luna Luna landed in Hamburg, Germany: the world’s first art amusement park with rides, games, and attractions by visionary artists like Jean-Michel Basquiat, Keith Haring, and David Hockney. By a twist of fate, the park’s treasures were soon sealed in 44 shipping containers and forgotten in Texas—until now.

Unfortunately (or not?), the “rides” are for viewing only.

4 Likes

Yay for art! I can’t believe I either didn’t know this topic existed or completely forgot about it! :astonished:

9 Likes

Wish I could afford to fill my domicile with these.

By ceramics artist Sophie Woodrow

8 Likes

I love those so much. I want to gently cradle them and pet their heads

7 Likes

Vivian Maier

9 Likes

Both of these end in March. I’ve been hoping to make it to NYC to see the one at the Met (maybe Presidents’ Day :thinking:). Just found out about the one in Baltimore. I’ve never been to the Walters, even though it’s (at most) an hours’ drive from here, and we knew that they had some Ethiopian pieces in their collection.

NYC (free link, i think):

Baltimore:

That said, we’ve been wondering just how all of these artifacts ended up in either museum. After the Battle of Magdala, for example, a lot of items wound up in the British Museum (as war loot; much of it has since been returned). I haven’t seen/read anything that indicates that is what happened here, but I can’t help but think of that.

5 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

For some reason I thought that JCO had passed away years ago, until she popped up in the news yesterday after slamming the bible (in a response to some driving trollies, to be fair). I was probably thinking of Flannery O’Connor though.

3 Likes