Artificial sweeteners be damned; these naturally occurring, safe proteins are thousands of times sweeter than sugar

Me too. I have had no adverse problem with the aspartame sweetener. None. And it’s just two amino acids hooked together, that create a little formaldehyde as a byproduct. Sounds bad, but formaldehyde is a natural metabolite.

Although I don’t doubt these are many times sweeter than sugar, I can’t help but wonder how exactly the ‘1000, 2000 and 3000 times sweeter’ has been calculated.

1 Like

There have been a few studies that show a correlation between artificial sweetener use and weight gain. Artificial sweeteners also don’t appear to help reducing weight. What that means, though, is complex - they seem to prime the body to want to eat more and eat crap, and also seem to trigger an increased insulin response that increases weight gain.

3 Likes

Exactly. Just because something is natural, doesn’t mean it tastes good. Stevia is a perfect example, and it bothers me that they are adding it to more and more things (for example, spouse bought some herbal teas at the grocery the other day, and more than half of them had stevia, once you read the label).

2 Likes

I find stevia odd. I liked it when I first tried it. I thought it had an odd, lingering aftertaste…but could overlook that.

Then I couldn’t overlook the aftertaste…but it was still “ok”

Then I couldn’t stand it.

4 Likes

Considering it’s a protein, I wouldn’t expect it to be heat-stable. So probably it’s useless for hot preparation, regardless if it caramelizes or not.
[edit: seems like some of them are actually pretty stable!]

1 Like

Short answer: find the lowest concentration that a group of tasters will still recognize as tasting sweet.

1 Like

I think it’s the aftertaste that produces the eventual dislike.

It could be. Just thinking about it I can almost taste the like-cinnamon-but-not-really and it just … blech

IIRC artificial sweeteners screw with ghrelin and leptin levels. Like regularly using artificial sweeteners causes a sort of leptin resistance, due to the food not actually having calories. So it ends up with the person still feeling hungry and not satiated even though they’re tasting a lot of sweet food. And that drives them to find real calories at some other time from some other source.

1 Like

These proteins could be the perfect sugar replacement with no bad effects, but tag them with the ‘produced via GMO’ label, and people will flail like Muppets when confronted with them.

2 Likes

O’Reilly as a primary research journal too, instead of a much much better reference producer than Global Standards or whoever licenses TUV and other national/continent-wise metrics.

1 Like

If they did it silently that might not be too bad.

3 Likes

Tell that to the food manufactures, who are adding sugar to anything they can.

Why is it so difficult for me to buy bread that does not have sugar (sucrose) in it?

There are many reasons to add sugars to bread.

The question would seem to be “why are you so concerned with sugar in bread?”

Because I am prediabetic. And it’s not just bread.

This wouldn’t be a problem if I wasn’t already disabled and capable of preparing a meal for myself every day, but some days I am lucky if I can throw a ready meal in an oven before I collapse.

1 Like

generally considered safe for consumption

Put that on the label and it just sells itself.

2 Likes

probably because yeast loves sugar. But if you don’t want sugar, make your own diabetic bread and stop buying manufactured food.

1 Like

The thing that people forget is that your taste buds are a sensory endpoint for your endocrine system. You taste something sweet, your body starts gearing up to digest sugar by generating the appropriate hormones (e.g., insulin). Sure, too much sugar too frequently will mess with the endocrine feedback cycle, but so will constantly tasting sweet stuff and not actually having any sugar in your system to digest.

(Disclaimer: I am not a nutritional biologist.)

1 Like

Are you offering to make me food? because I have already said

when I say some days, read it as one day in three.

I have two alternatives, both of which will harm my health. I have already been anorexic and know how badly not eating can fuck you up (My GP suspects it to be part of the reason I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome now), and have no desire for full diabetes, yet no other alternative seems to be available. Can you blame me for being pissed off whenever I see sugar in a food that doesn’t need it?

3 Likes