Artificial sweeteners be damned; these naturally occurring, safe proteins are thousands of times sweeter than sugar

Sounds to me like you may qualify for social assistance programs. You should look in to that. Meal sharing with other disabled people who have problems preparing meals every day are also something to look in to. Another thing to consider is pre-preparing your meals on the 2 days between your bad days. Slow cookers are great for being able to toss everything in the pot before going about your day. When dinner time comes it’s just a matter of turning off the cooker and eating.
Manufactured food is a choice.

1 Like

Should get: yes
Can get: No. There’s not enough funding

There’s not much anyone can do, unless they are Theresa May, Philip Hammond or Damian Green.

I have just been reminded of when I used to make flasks of aeropress coffee concentrate, so I could have good coffee when I didn’t feel capable of using the aeropress. I haven’t done that in nearly a year.

I may be doing worse than I realise. That is a depressing thought.

2 Likes

I know of one study on how non-nutritive sweeteners effects the insulin response of people who don’t normally eat them: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/9/2530.full

TL;DR: eating sucralose increases insulin production even though there’s no glucose to absorb because there are taste-buds throughout the GI tract that detect sweet stuff and prompt the pancreas to produce insulin.

I wonder if these new sweeteners are digestible/break down in the gut–seems like that would prevent the insulin response problems caused by sucralose.

I can’t stand Stevia as well, but my wife uses it for her coffee- the worst part is that it is so fluffy and easily airborne (for lack of the scientific word for this) that if I’m not super careful just pouring a packet or spoonful results in my tasting it in my nostrils. Yuck.

(ETA: I guess my point for the topic at hand is that any new sugar substitute, if I’m going to like it, needs to not just be sweet, but more the texture and feel of sugar crystals. Oh yeah, and not have the aftertaste of ass)

This latest brand she got makes me giggle though, it’s called “Sweet Leaf”.

Do you not have access to a proper bakery instead of a Megalomart? Bread straight from the baker who made it shouldn’t be much more expensive than factory bread, and you can ask what’s in it or do they make any without sugar.

(That’s not sarcasm. I don’t know about Oxford, but huge swaths of the U.S. have no place to shop for groceries aside from giant factory food stores.)

There is a Greggs nearby (who I don’t feel as bad about now that I know that the staff are unionised), but they aren’t a proper baker in the “we make our own bread on site” sense. There is also a patisserie, which really isn’t what I am looking for.

In fact, it looks like there are a lot of patisseries on the bus route to the middle of Oxford, but not one traditional baker :frowning:

If I change to another bus in the middle of Oxford then I can get to real bakeries (some of them real expensive too, thank you Raymond Blanc), but that is really pushing what I am capable of at the best of times.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.