Artisanal pencil shop opens in Lower Manhattan

“A 1950s era Blackwing 602 runs $60.”

For heaven’s sake, just buy some of these Palomino Blackwing reproductions. They’re a couple of bucks a piece in boxes of a dozen on Amazon. Perfectly nice pencils…

1 Like

Home-made, hand-made, small-batch could also work.

She’s got rent to pay…no cheapening out. And don’t forget, you need 2-3 dozen per session. Something tells me that the next rules are “Keep them sharpened to identical lengths” “Throw them away when they’ve lost 20% of their length” and “Don’t mix pencils from different production years”.

EDIT: To be fair, she does have a lot of cheap pencils and such…

1 Like

Are these free range pencils?

3 Likes

I picture free range pencils looking like this:

These scream “artisanal”, don’t they? (from this etsy shop.)

2 Likes

More like “beachside souvenir shop,” alongside the sand dollars and googly-eyed clamshells and trucker caps with fake birdshit that say “DAMN SEAGULLS!”

I thought hipsters were into kitschy stuff. Or was that over years ago? I can’t keep up.

1 Like

Isn’t this right next door to The Scotch Boutique?

If you drilled a blank and tried to slide in the pencil lead, you’d have to find something appropriate with which to lubricate it first…

1 Like

And they have a pencil of the month club. Sold!

Yeah, and without a proper stiff reamer there is no way the hole would be straight.

Use the fake stuff? I thought you wanted artesenal.

I hate #1 pencils. So. Pale.

The #3, too soft. Leaves graphite dust all over your paper.

I had forgotten the terrible #1 and #3, but you just brought a flood of memories of absolutely hating them right back to me from high school drafting and art classes.

1 Like

It’s the other way around. #1 is softer/darker, #3 is harder/lighter. But that’s not even the only scale! http://mentalfloss.com/article/49849/are-there-number-1-pencils

2 Likes

Hate 'em so much I mixed 'em up. :wink:

1 Like

Where do you find 9B pencils? Are they even made?

Art supply stores probably. I wonder if that scale covers charcoal too.

I’m under the impression that scale does not cover charcoal.
9B and 9H are pretty common at art supply stores.
My favorite is a Prismacolor Turquoise 2B (though for a long time, that pencil in a 4B was about as close in feel to an Original Blackwing 602 that you could get…).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.