Artist creates digital paintings using only HTML and CSS

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/02/artist-creates-digital-paintin.html

6 Likes

If anyone wants to explain-like-I’m-five to me how this works, I’d appreciate it.

4 Likes

Yeah I just skimmed it and I don’t fucking know. I am going to have to dive in the CSS. It’s using tricks I don’t know… probably because this is the wrong tool to make such images.

CSS has tools do draw things like arcs and lines and whatnot. You can use it as a graphic design program.

IMHO, CSS has gone too far. It’s been morphing into the next javascript over the past few years. I’m pretty sure it is turing complete already.

6 Likes

so would this be like weaving?
or more like paint by numbers?

More like making art in Powerpoint using the shape and gradient tools.

3 Likes

Possibly weaving.

This is kind of like the gentleman who did drawings with Excel.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I compare this to writing out an ps or pcl file by hand, showing it to a printer, and having art come out. (Ps =postscript, pcl= hp’s native printer language.) it’s deep magic.

4 Likes

Comically not IE6 compliant.

17 Likes

I clicked view source and it just looks like an image. Am I missing something?

Get one of her ‘purecss-’ repos:

and inspect the index.html from there. Crazy.

5 Likes

Man, now I want a big canvas print of that to hang over the couch in my nonexistent trendy minimalist modern art loft apartment.

5 Likes

Please don’t talk like that, you’re scaring me.

Yours Sincerely,
A JavaScript Programmer

2 Likes

Art you glad we don’t use IE6 anymore?

If you go to http://diana-adrianne.com/purecss-francine/ and right click the image, select inspect. Then mouse over various

below and you can see all the elements, and there are SO MANY.

For fun, you can change the colors in the CSS to mess with the image.

3 Likes

Holy shit.

1 Like

Get that black phosphorous printer going (stuff’s super stable in air) and print it out in UV-upconverting vacancies and let the trendy minimalist modern art loft apartment build itself around it. Maybe get rent free forever by offering the leasehold to a remnant at newscorp.
Wayprong’s ALD division, yeah! I just print the 2.1-13% canvas strokes, it matches everything.

3 Likes

I’ll just…

also quite like her new merch

Your like one of those comic book villain bio labs that keeps a copy of the worst diseases alive not for study but because it’s amusing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.