Artist creates "new form of life" on the world's beaches

Originally published at: Artist creates "new form of life" on the world's beaches | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I’ve admired Theo Jansen’s work for years and even built some automata myself but disagree that it’s a form of “life” in any meaningful sense of the word. Maybe it’s just a translation thing and he’s not quite making a sincere claim that his creations are alive. But any definition of life that his machines meet would also include plenty of clever mechanisms that came decades or even centuries before.

7 Likes

Oh! This is a common misconception. Jansen’s creations aren’t “life” because of how they act, but because they have souls, harvested and then trapped inside. They are left with no senses or control over their alien bodies, but even so the restless wind-driven motion keeps them from escaping like they do from corpses, holding them there in perpetuity. Neat, huh?

17 Likes

Given the choice between fragile mechanisms trundling along the beach, and free roaming poltergeists, I’ll definitely prefer something that can’t move without a stiff breeze. :ghost:

6 Likes

It does look very Burgess-shale-ish, though…

7 Likes

Creepy! And fascinating

I wonder if Jansen’s art was an inspiration for the VR game Paper Beast which has some similar creepy vibes? It was created by Eric Chahi who worked on Another World

ezgif-4-c10622d5b4

3 Likes

The little model sitting in a box somewhere in this basement might then contain the building blocks of life. Huh.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.