Artist creates self portrait with a neural network and the results are freaky

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/04/artist-creates-self-portrait-w.html

4 Likes

It’s a little like dropping acid and staring into a mirror.

11 Likes

I’ll have what that NN is having.

3 Likes

It makes me wonder if our brains are just some kind of AI, and the lsd mucks with the timing circuitry just enough to let a whole lot of glitching make it past the perception smoothing algorithm.

3 Likes

Well. Neural Nets are modeled after the brain…

4 Likes

I sometimes have migraines that have effects like that.
So yeah, neurological glitches.

1 Like

When I was a lad AI was performed with a turkey baster.

2 Likes

I was watching a video about visual processing some time ago. Part of the video focused on some people that had functional eyes and optic fiber but damage to the brain made them blind. But the interesting thing, was that if they were shown photos of people that were expressing strong emotions, these people could tell you the emotion being expressed. Part of the brain was extracting emotional data from the visual data before it made it to the part of the brain that normally rendered the visual image seen by the subject.

9 Likes

I still want werewolves.

The current boom in machine learning is mostly based on a renaissance in backpropagation algorithms, a technique for training artificial feedforward neural networks with one or more hidden layer. In short, it’s a network that cleverly exploits a kind of automated feedback. A major inspiration for the original backpropagation algorithm was the study of how the human visual system processes information, and was developed over the latter half of the twentieth century. But until relatively recently, parallel computing simply wasn’t sufficiently scaled-up, distributed or powerful enough to make commercial use of the algorithm.

It’s worth noting though that although artificial neural networks are inspired by theories of how the central nervous system works, there’s no scientific evidence that the CNS is an artifact; rather it evolved. Moreover, while the CNS probably exploits some of the same principles, the inspiration is a nearly sixty-year-old theory long since superseded by more detailed understandings of the CNS that themselves barely scratch the surface. The human brain itself is likely vastly more sophisticated.

4 Likes

too much funk

Yes, blindsight, super interesting phenomena. Seems like evidence towards a model of a multi-layered view of consciousness.

2 Likes

The Tleilaxu Face-dancers are getting better all the time.

Who has 7000 images of themself? Other than Trump, that is.

1 Like

if you find this type of thing interesting read “The Man who Mistook his Wife For a Hat” by Oliver Sacks. And if you like this sort of stuff AND music, read “Musicophilla” also by Sacks.

2 Likes

YES! That’s it. Having spent some time experimenting with my own brain I have my own pet theories about the mind and this blindsight supports my leanings.

I’ve read “The Man who Mistook his Wife For a Hat” before but will check out “Musicophilla”. Thank you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.