Watch an AI-generated human face become monstrous as its neural network decays

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/04/watch-an-ai-generated-human-fa.html

7 Likes

No middle sliders.

1 Like

BS. It took him a lifetime of practice to achieve that skill.

4 Likes

Francis Bacon could do this in his head.

13 Likes

Came in here to mention Francis Bacon but see you have already provided.

Very ‘BioShock-y’

4 Likes

Maybe that’s what it’s like to look at someone when you die.

6 Likes

I often contemplate what the world looks like to someone through dying eyes as they fade out and I really hope this is not what it looks like otherwise abject terror awaits all of us as our consciousness unravels with our last vestiges of sentience.

There are horrors beyond imagination that I wish I could not contemplate, this is one of the most frightening to me.

6 Likes

Remember though, that the neural net considers every one of these images to be a perfectly good human face. From an outside perspective they have become distorted and unrecognizable, but by definition the neural network is unable to detect this. If it could, it would have “imagined” a better-looking face in the first place.

Metaphorically speaking, maybe the decay of the brain is a descent into experiences that would seem like madness and terror to a brain which wasn’t dying…but to a dying brain such things feel comfortable and right.

3 Likes

This actually kind of reminds me of the usual process of slowly forgetting what somebody looks like that I have not seen or seen pictures of for many many years…

2 Likes

Daisy Daaaisy

12 Likes

@Flossaluzitarin you must have some thoughts on this posting.

7 Likes

… give me your decaying-neural-network answer do…

5 Likes

That is perhaps the deepest comment of honest philosophical thought without pun or snark I’ve ever seen here. God that shit gets tiresome. I enjoyed your thought, intriguing.

@ FGD135- is that the portrait of Dorian Grey?

That sounds awfully like a fate that the Greek gods would have inflicted on Dr. Pangloss for really, really, pissing them off.

Like Cassandra; but for optimism; doomed to experience a series of optimal possible worlds, each more degraded than the last. Don’t mess with Zeus!

1 Like

I was thinking that a Shepard tone was the best musical accompaniment, but now agree that Daisy, Daisy is better.

1 Like

The Adversarial Neural Network Portrait of Dorian Gray

Yup. 1945 version.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.