Animating old photos using AI

Originally published at: Animating old photos using AI | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Reminds me of the moving photos/paintings in Harry Potter lit.

6 Likes

Creepy much? I dunno. Maybe it was just a random brain connection, but for some reason the phenomenon of photographing the dead in the 19th century sprang to mind when I was browsing these.

https://www.myheritage.com/deep-nostalgia/

When the lady in the main example tilted her head down, looking into the camera, I had a Stephen King moment, like she was about to say “You will join us… sooooooon.” or something. Maybe there are some downsides to watching a lot of horror movies when we are young…

9 Likes

I want to upload anything/everything BUT old family photos to it and see what happens. But I’m not registering with the site, so it’ll have to remain unexplored.

5 Likes

The one of the kid turning his head does some weirs things with his left ear as his head turns.
This one.
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 17.22.10

Warning: If you do upload anything, it will create a publicly viewable website of everything you upload (although it misleadingly promises to delete the animation, which it seems to do, it wasn’t clear that the original photos would be publicly viewable).
I have not figured out a way to delete that website or remove the photos. Thought ya’ll’d wanna know.

4 Likes

Ah, there is a way to delete the photos (you have to open each individually, and delete them from the toolbar above it). FYI

1 Like

Is AI a thing or is it just a buzzword, I forget

1 Like

If 4chan discovers this, I predict lots of animated Hitlers.

4 Likes

This does seem somewhat spooky to me!

3 Likes

I’m thinking of ones of the Mango-a-Lardo.

5 Likes

“But… but… weird Uncle Arlo never blinked!”

3 Likes

It could actually get worse: They could do this with one of those posed post-mortem photographs.

5 Likes

Someone did this with a still of DH’s grandfather. Cool and spooky at the same time.

2 Likes

ezgif.com-optimize-2

13 Likes

Oooh, I have some coffee & cats warning ones that I’ll toss on YouTube when I get back from groceries.

2 Likes

Holy fudge-nuggets! That is really freaky.

I like to pronounce it, “AEEEEEEIIIIIII!”

7 Likes

This is pretty cool.

1. What would it do with a painted portrait? A simple pencil drawing?
  2. How about a primate’s face?
  3. If you gave it an image of white noise or a cloud would it try to find a face in it or just not try?
    i could definitely kill some time messing with this.
3 Likes

I tried animating that gold Trump statue.

It could not find a face.

5 Likes

Zombies!!!

4 Likes