This Person Does Not Exist

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/15/this-person-does-not-exist.html

6 Likes

There’s something off about the teeth. The images of the teeth look fine, but the placement in the mouth seems subtly wrong.

8 Likes

Rob: “How can I tweak the teeth and eye component?”

18 Likes

They’re all unrealistically photogenic - likely a bias of the training data?

3 Likes

I think I know what it is: the way the teeth are in the mouth, the lips should be slightly skewed differently.

7 Likes

Noticing some odd eye glitching in results with glasses:

14 Likes

Man, talk about pulling a duckface:

Sometimes I think it glitches a bit…

19 Likes

They all are smiling. Nonexistence must be so cool!

15 Likes

The mouths are sometimes (or perhaps always) off-centre.

7 Likes

Time to put this to good work: setting up hundreds of fake Facebook accounts to trick the Zuck’s algorithm.

19 Likes

I was wondering if anyone who needs photos of people who do not exist would discover the site. The best part is that the pictures are untraceable because there are no individual files. Using “Open image in new tab” simply bring up another picture because the address for the indivual image file is simply https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

6 Likes

I got the exact same results, so it’s apparently not custom making these for each individual page access.

4 Likes

I love the goofs the most - where the AI adds these weird alien-looking growths onto random parts of a face, kinda like octopus arms coming out of a perfectly good ear, or perhaps multiple tiny fingers or arms growing from a chin. Otherwise, the AI is doing a pretty good job - good enough to generate faces for ads or websites. Any idea if the faces are built using a “starter face”, with the AI perhaps replacing various features?

5 Likes

The author states: "Each time you refresh the site, the network will generate a new facial image from scratch,” wrote Wang -TheVerge

Perhaps the same source data pool is used over and over with the same results.

6 Likes

17 Likes
5 Likes

The kicker is, that kid totally does exist.

4 Likes

Someone is going to drop a folder of nudes into the source data soon enough.

The future is going to be weird.

9 Likes

I clicked the refresh and got this. Notice the subtle tell - hair that can’t possibly be real.
gark

17 Likes

Wait. I don’t get it. Aside from a few bits of what look like small photoshopping flubs, they all (so far) look completely realistic to me.

How are they generated? I don’t see, for instance, a big nose slapped onto a small face; these look like real people, and it worries me that I can’t tell that they are composites . . . or whatever it is that makes them not real.

5 Likes