Convincing, accessible AI-generated video is here

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/15/convincing-accessible-ai-generated-video-is-here.html

2 Likes

… well, a carefully curated gallery of the best videos they’ve ever produced is almost good enough, if we don’t look too hard :thinking:

7 Likes

I wonder how much electricity is used to make once second of video

14 Likes

So many people seem to gloss over that point even when it’s explicitly pointed out. And they really don’t extrapolate it into the future.

How many people expected AI generated video to be at this stage in 2024, and said so, in 2022? 2019? 2010? There are a few who did, and they have very different predictions about what comes next than the people who didn’t.

5 Likes

These videos can’t be copyrighted?

1 Like

high quality GIF

8 Likes

Prompt: first person view, cinematic style of the 1970s, not to vivid, but using strong hues.
You are about 10 feet above the ground nestled among some large branches. The nearest branch above you is above your reach. Beside you on the branch is a small bird’s nest. In the bird’s nest is a large egg encrusted with precious jewels, apparently scavenged by a childless songbird. The egg is covered with fine gold inlay, and ornamented in lapis lazuli and mother-of-pearl. Unlike most eggs, this one is hinged and closed with a delicate looking clasp. The egg appears extremely fragile.

4 Likes

7 Likes

For those interested, here’s the full demo video from OpenAI:

4 Likes

I am convinced – these are definitely videos, with movement and everything. Heck, all that SUV clip is missing is a voice over and I would be sure it was a Let’s Play.

5 Likes

to me, those seem surprisingly good. more so than what was in the news piece. maybe even good enough for a the history channel show or a tv ad.

( granted i’m watching on my phone… and although they show us the prompts, we don’t know whether they tuned their generator for each one, or whether they stitched together multiple attempts. or even that they’re being honest at all… )

imo the big thing missing at the end of the nbc piece was a shyamalan reveal, showing the whole thing was generated

4 Likes

As I always say on these threads “Potemkin AI had been around since AI and it only gets more pervasive the more money is at stake”.

3 Likes

I got sent the press release yesterday and I forwarded an excerpt internally for the lols : the bit where they claimed it “understood” physics and relationships in the real world. The doggo simultaneously walking on a window frame and outside it near the beginning of the promi video kind of disproves that one.

4 Likes

I watched the video on my computer screen (full screen mode) and the vintage SUV clip was the most convincing to me. Without being told it was AI I probably wouldn’t have given it a second thought. But most of the other clips presented can’t maintain the illusion for the full 60 seconds without a glitch of some sort. 3 paws on the kitty is a pretty creepy moment. It often seems to opt for slo-mo without a specific prompt to do so… “Historical Footage of California during the gold rush” and the AI chooses a drone’s eye view? I can see a short term near future where human editor’s spend their time fixing the most obvious AI errors because it will be cheaper to do so.

3 Likes

I was impressed by the inclusion of the two legged horses 19th century California is so well known for.

Is it? As more companies use this junk for cheap and easy images/video that doesn’t need to be accurate, obey real-world physics, or have any actual meaning, but just attract some eyeballs, won’t the models just get fed with more and more garbage?

5 Likes

My post from 2017

6 Likes

Unless there is significant creative human input, that’s correct. Only human generated works are eligible for copyright. For now. With Microsoft behind this shit, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them start lobbying Congress to change that. Have I mentioned that I hate this timeline?

6 Likes

… people say “this is the worst it will ever be,” as if we’re seeing the worst examples, which we’re not

4 Likes

I still don’t understand why the so-called AI companies have been allowed to harvest vast amounts of copyright content to train their machine models.

What if there is a massive copyright suit and they lose?

2 Likes

And @zachstronaut

While all that is correct, I don’t think that means these videos aren’t entitled to copyright.

The level of creativeness needed for a creative work is really low and I would expect that generating a prompt and selecting a particular result would probably qualify.

Certainly the caselaw so far hasn’t had any issues with granting copyright to computer generated works, the courts have refused to say that the computer programme is the “author”.

If the claimants in those cases had said “I used AI to produce this creative work,” I don’t think there would have been any issue.