This Person Does Not Exist

Have we had the “this non-existent person looks underage” legal battle yet?

9 Likes

…and not in the eyes. Paging Doctor Beschizza!

17 Likes

You’re right to be worried. This is the kind of thing that dystopia is made of.

3 Likes

I think it was generating unique images yesterday… then the servers got hammered because it was posted all over, and they started putting up random but previously generated images.

4 Likes

Wonder where they sourced such a high-quality set of images… Wonder if they licenced them. But I guess this would be a creative work, so it doesn’t matter?

1 Like

Someone forgot to take the microphones out of the training data.

8 Likes

Could stealing somebody’s face image for an AI database be like sampling music tracts without permission?

5 Likes

Um…

15 Likes

Third Eye AI

11 Likes

Because we know these are fakes, any comments about how we can tell that they’re fakes is pretty suspect.

4 Likes

You mean they’re fake comments?

10 Likes

Cue the requisite “How do you know any of this is real, and not a simulation?” comments.

8 Likes

Here’s a really good one.

8 Likes

So far my favorite category of not-quite-right results is “Hat or hair or something else?”

11 Likes

5 Likes

What would be a great addition would be one generated, one real image side-by-side and let people vote…

4 Likes

Theory: These are not computer generated images, but rather aliens iterating various meatsuit designs. Sometimes they photograph more advanced prototypes next to early models and don’t do a good job cropping:

13 Likes

I suspect that one factor which makes it harder to tell their results from “real” people, is that we’ve been so inundated by photoshopped faces in all forms of media (nobody actually looks like their magazine cover photo) that half of what would otherwise be uncanny valley features in photos just kind of get ignored out of habit.

10 Likes

The perspective on that one is wigging me out a little, 'cause the face is, well, face-on, but the rest of the head is looking right of frame. It’s like a subtler version of this:

13 Likes

“little tells”

It also appears to have difficulty distinguishing between hair and hats.

9 Likes