Can you guess which face is real and which is computer generated?

Originally published at: Can you guess which face is real and which is computer generated? | Boing Boing

1 Like

I got the first one wrong, and looking at the “wrong” one again afterward I saw one ear was a bit long, but this is the image that was marked as “real”. perhaps I’m not up on modern makeup techniques but it has some seemingly impossible plastic doll-like textures. A classification mistake on the source pool or at least somewhat photoshopped…

5 Likes

I’d say that’s a real photo of a real mannequin.

How did you go back to see your first one again?

4 Likes

Oh never mind, I just used the back button on my browser. Duh.

2 Likes

I did fairly well as I went on because I could start to see artifacts in the background so I didn’t always look at the face, I looked at the surrounding area.

But the fake ones could indeed fool me outside of an either or situation or a situation where I wasn’t expecting to be fooled.

I went back to see if they explain how the images are created, the Learn menu explains what I experienced, I’m glad I looked at a bunch of images before reading that page.

5 Likes

I was so befuddled by the first one I actually just stopped and left it there to take a screenshot. One can be forgiven for forgetting the humble back button, it’s utility has been messed with quite a bit by modern dynamic UX/UI techniques.

3 Likes

I tried…many… and I got them all correct. The AI faces just jump out at me. Oh well, I guess I’ll be a scout during the android wars.

7 Likes

I got them all wrong 'til I gave up.

I may not be well equipped to survive the coming years…

3 Likes

… so when do we start guessing which Boing Boing articles are “real” and which are computer-generated :thinking:

5 Likes

8 Likes

Retirement time.

1 Like

Lots of “real” faces in there hitting the uncanny valley pretty hard - I suspect common use of extreme photo-filtering software is the culprit. Some of the new filters are basically running faces through neural networks for their output…

1 Like

AI is getting better, but there are still a few subtle tells that a face is AI generated. The most obvious one is that The AI tends to fuck up backgrounds and can’t quite do the edges of hair properly.

4 Likes

The AI still can’t seem to get teeth right most of the time for some reason. I keep seeing weird effects where someone’s got an incisor in the middle of their mouth.

2 Likes

Any you think these “guest” contributors are real?

How do I know you are real…how do you know I’m real?

Maybe I’m just a velveteen rabbit.

1 Like

Yes, I had pretty good luck with background details, especially clothing and jewelry. The face would be so lifelike, but they the shirt would defy physical logic. Good enough for a quick glance, but not for extended scrutiny.

1 Like

I got them oll korrect, but not by looking at the eyes, teeth, whatnot. The AI ones were all generic without hats and without interesting backgrounds. Without these tells the quiz would be a lot harder.

men without hats

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.