Can you guess the difference betwene the real person and AI person in these photos?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/28/can-you-guess-the-difference-betwene-the-real-person-and-ai-person-in-these-photos.html

4 Likes

The AI person uses the word “betwene”?

9 Likes

Weird thing is I got a LOT better when I made fast choices. If I looked and thought, I’d often talk myself into the wrong choice.

My brain can tell, but I can override myself so easily!

6 Likes

This was a real tough call.

But in all seriousness, it was really easy to tell if you look for the weird artifacts in the image. A lot were around hair or eyes, but backgrounds were dead giveaways.

13 Likes

Yeah, the backgrounds were my first giveaway. Real people don’t visit the 14th dimension.

I identified two other ways to spot the fakes, but I feel like I’m training the machine if I tell.

8 Likes

Nice try, Skynet. I’m not going to help you with your homework.

16 Likes

The teeth often give it away for me… AI just does weird things with teeth and eyes (and, of course fingers, but couldn’t use that here).

2 Likes

Teeth, ears, and the hairline are dead giveaways. Backgrounds were fairly clean for the ones I looked at. I didn’t pick a single AI face.

1 Like

I did about a dozen of them and got them all correct, generally by seeing artifacts or inconsistent lighting.

The only one that gave me trouble was a generic white guy businessman in front of one of those standard issue ID photo backgrounds (you know the ones, with the grey splotches and ubiquity on school photo days). Makes me think the AI had a lot more training data of generic white businessmen than anyone else.

3 Likes

This was easy, at least if you follow USA politics.

Space Time GIF by Hyper RPG

2 Likes

I missed five out of six. What that says about me I don’t know.

2 Likes

Wow - I really suck at this. But I also have trouble remembering people’s faces so maybe the two are connected?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.