Animating old photos using AI

Nightmare fuel!

3 Likes

orson welles applause GIF

You, my friend, win the Internet. That is horrifying.

6 Likes

Wow, moving pictures of Hitler? I can’t even imagine!

3 Likes

Next up: Rule 34!

4 Likes

What would it do with a painted portrait?

Joseph_Siffrein_Duplessis_-Benjamin_Franklin-_Google_Art_Project-0-Animated~1

A simple pencil drawing?

No luck there. I tried the drawing of the singer from Ah Ha’s Take On Me video without any success. But I did get a face from a comic book to animate.
be0256d3702efb7c946e0ab1ba5e8714-0-Animated~1

• How about a primate’s face?

Nothing there either. I tried gorilla, baboon, macaque, and even the monkey selfie.

• If you gave it an image of white noise or a cloud would it try to find a face in it or just not try?

I tried a bunch of “faces” like the face on Mars and the Shroud of Turin. The only thing that worked, and the most horrifying, was Monkey Jesus.
ecce-homo-spain-0-Animated~1

10 Likes

Ain’t it tho? And then I think: is it horrifying only because we know that the source image is postmortem? If we had a blind test with processed photos of the living from the same period, could we tell them from the dead? Or will the AI reliably place the living and the dead into the same uncanny valley?

4 Likes

Welp… I’m never sleeping again.

8 Likes

I guess dead Aunty Hilda really did have a lazy eye…

6 Likes

In the face of everyone else’s opinion, I like this. I find pictures of me never look like me. I tend to get (1) grinning like stuffed toy from funfair, or (2) ditto with eyes closed and double-chin like elephant seal, with very occasional (3) axe murderer before he has had his coffee. But the main off-putting thing is this is the corpse-like stillness: I can stay still for 1/100 sec if someone is taking a photo but it is an effort. Making them move a little makes all the difference.

3 Likes

Disapproving Ben Franklin has gone in to my gif vault; thank you.

4 Likes

Having zombies look like that (slightly confused, and quizzical) could be a really creepy change from the normal slack-jaws. Adding the horror of dementia to the undead.

2 Likes

You’re the best–thank you!

3 Likes

That’s just not right.

3 Likes

What are you using for the GIFs? I need to do something to fight against

2 Likes

I use a free-ware program called Format Factory for quick and easy conversion.
http://www.pcfreetime.com/formatfactory/index.php?language=en

2 Likes

Oh, just because it’s horrifying doesn’t mean I don’t like it it. :smiley:

In messing around with it, I’ve found that some face shapes work better than others, full profile works much better than three-quarter, etc. And if you’re trying it with 19th-century corpse photos (genuine ones) they have to be “eyes open” or the algorithms can’t find a face. Same with sunglasses and robots.

With the right photo, it’s juuust the other side of the uncanny valley, and more in the realm of, say, Serenity holographic tombstone.

(Which is…still a bit creepy, I guess)

1 Like

Can we be sure that this isn’t proof that the camera really has been stealing people’s souls after all?

2 Likes
2 Likes

People have really taken off with this. I wonder if the site that hosts it is happy about it all.

2 Likes

You know, animated, Neanderthals are pretty attractive!

Someone stop me, I can’t stop… make it stop!!! :crazy_face:

2 Likes