Artist Damien Hirst falsely dated recent sculptures to noteworthy period

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/20/artist-damien-hirst-falsely-dated-sculptures.html

1 Like

I am not against artists employing similar tactics as dealers and galleries.

Hirst is not a nice person to work for (I used to work next door to one of his factories and occasionally chatted with some of the employees), but I did not expect him to be.

6 Likes

I give 0 fucks about him, or anything he does. I’m also mostly the same about the galleries and people who think his work is worth anything more than the plastic it’s molded from.

5 Likes

Alle you telling me that… Hirst jumped the shark?

16 Likes

That’s easy. “1993-2017”

Also: It’s interesting to think of an artist back-dating something, whereas a commonly held sentiment in art or business is “Yeah, but what have they done lately?”

10 Likes

Or, in this case, ‘did it really take 24 years to come up with the same idea?’

2 Likes

With Hirst and similar celebrity entrepreneurs, the actual pieces of artwork are almost beside the point. Per the neoliberal default, they exist mainly as stores of value for ultra-wealthy speculators. The only question that anyone involved cares about in terms of the back-dating of these pieces is whether some greater fool in the market will accept the rationalisation and still pay a premium price.

5 Likes

“Isn’t it a miracle what so much money and so little ability can produce?”

• Robert Hughes on Damien Hirst in The Mona Lisa Curse
4 Likes

Right?

So deep!

Well, shallow, come to think of it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.