Artist makes gorgeous quilts while travelling in an Airstream

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/16/artist-makes-gorgeous-quilts-while-travelling-in-an-airstream.html

6 Likes

I really wanted some airstream interior shots with a sewing machine (or a team of migrants working busily in a corner) but no love.

10 Likes

Here ya go;

She has a book out, and the pic is from the book

9 Likes

Very non-traditional; they are reminiscent of Amish quilts, which use unpatterned fabrics, but she favours a more muted palette.

3 Likes

I wonder how large her paintings were because I can’t imagine them being more cumbersome than a quilt.

2 Likes

You can’t fold a painting.

8 Likes

True. Just seems like dropping one craft that relies on space for another.

2 Likes

Sure you can, if the frame is bendable. Otherwise, paint a flexible medium in quilt-like segments and fold along the boundaries. Or think of paintings on thread-bound bamboo strips. Or paint ink on cloth, like a bandana.

1 Like

I thought about that as well. Most quilters I know also have stashes and stashes of fabric, like storage bins full of the stuff.

3 Likes

Yep. No fabric crafts for me when I lived in Tokyo. There just wasn’t enough space. Knitting was much more forgiving, and didn’t require large flat spaces to spread the material out. Sucked to commute through a six story yuzawaya (like Joanne’s but better) every day for work.

3 Likes

Working in a place that sells things you love is difficult; almost an exercise in volunteering to be paid in company scrip. Tangentially, in my crafting adventures, I’ve noticed that some of the highest quality art supplies come from either Japan or Germany.

2 Likes

Well, not quite as bad as that. The train station I transferred lines in ran through the shop. I walked past the display windows every day. They did get all my money for yarn and pens. At least I was able to take my mom (an avid quilter) through all my favorite textile places.

And, yes, the stationary and art supplies are wonderful. I had a lovely time buying school supplies for the child… Then I found out none of them met regulations.

1 Like

Canvas paintings can be rolled up. :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes, canvas can be rolled, but the subtopic was folding. An oil-on-canvas work probably wouldn’t do well after folding unless it was designed for such.

Okay wow, now I can dare to dream.

Thank you!

3 Likes

You’re welcome! I think it’s hilarious that the only picture that I could find of the interior, was her at the sewing machine, as you requested.

1 Like

I want to like this sort of post, but I can’t help but read this headline as:

“Privileged person chooses a quaint lifestyle only available to those with significant financial security.”

Even a used Airstream is $40,000 expense. It is hard to admire someone for “entrepreneurial” reasons when they clearly have a financial safety net that allows for such a whimsical existence.

1 Like

Would you be happier if she inhabited a cheaper trailer or RV?

1 Like

Would you feel similarly disgusted reading about an artist who worked out of a $40,000 house?

2 Likes

Roaming around 24/ in a diesel powered bus with only two passengers… it’d be hard to find anything on Etsy with a higher CO2 print than those quilts.