Artist proves that basic school supplies work fine for making art

My primary school used Derwent Cumberland pencils, with the result that I hated using nearly every pencil that wasn’t made by them.

2 Likes

So awhile ago I picked up one of the much praised here on BoingBoing Palomino Blackwing pencils… OMG I am so spoiled. It is heaven to use. Yes they are $$$ compared to other pencils but they are fucking worth it.

1 Like

Those of us who started getting into art as kids probably all used school supplies to make it.

It wasn’t until I was taking university art classes that I turned to scrounging stuff from wastebaskets, dumpsters, and litter on the ground to make art.

it’s a poor artist what blames his tools.

2 Likes

Mirado Black Warriors are also pretty nice.

We used Dixon Ticonderoga #2 pencils, and blue Biro pens. Dixon Ticonderoga is the pencil IMO. And nothing beats the way the Biro ink is either a fat gelatinous glob or nothing at all, unless you warm up the ballpoint by doing so many of those 3-D S’s…

1 Like

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/51d89e/i_made_this_out_of_an_old_coffee_table/

Also: You should hang out with my neighbor, Gary. He’s got enough scrap wood and pallets to make a 1/2 scale replica of the Taj Mahal, or one hell of a yard fire.

Snark aside, I’m all about upcycling. Materials gain interesting qualities in each cycle.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.