Artists upset after Wacom uses AI art to market artist gear

He has a point there.

While sometimes a bit icky, I preferred Rob’s mouths for eyes Photoshop, to the AI stuff. I’d prefer Shutterstock or fair use pics of politicians than the AI stuff.

Though BB is a blog, more or less, and Wacom is a multi-million dollar company. So there is a bit of a difference of a case use.

Still. I’d prefer BB did not.

5 Likes

What a bunch of lovely!

Do share any new additions, this thread is a good place

8 Likes

I used to visit BB a lot back in the day, but life got busier and things got pared down. I stuck with Jezebel for my daily dose of bad news and snarky commenters. Then it winked out of existence and have come back. Not so much for the content, but for the comments. I need sane, intelligent, compassionate, snarky people to make me feel like the world isn’t a total loss.

I don’t like the AI ledes either. It feels yucky. I hope they see that too, eventually.

10 Likes

So say we all most.

8 Likes

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

10 Likes

Yeah, it did… Paste bought it back… We’ll see how that works, but here it is…

Yep Yes GIF by Rosanna Pansino

8 Likes

Art that can be easily replicated by artificial intelligence is “meaningless”, according to the Chinese dissident artist Ai Weiwei, who believes even Pablo Picasso and Henri Matisse would have had to rethink their approach if AI had existed in their era.

Ai Weiwei’s next work is a collaboration between himself and an AI – where the two will give answers to the same list of 81 questions posed over 81 days, the number alluding to the same amount of days he was confined by the Chinese state in 2011.

Titled Ai vs AI, the questions – which include: “Love or hate, which lasts longer?”, “Will capitalism have an end?” and: “Is Edward Snowden guilty?” – will be projected on to Piccadilly Circus’s big screen and others around the world from the evening of Thursday 11 January. The answers will then be posted online.

The artist, who now splits his time between Cambridge and Portugal, described the work as “a bit of fun” and similar to someone throwing a pebble across a pond to see the ripple effect. But he did signal a warning about the future if artificial intelligence becomes too powerful and relied upon by countries around the world.

Sounds like his current project is similar to what some bbsers have been doing the last few days here.

But please read the whole article (it’s not long) for more context, and for Weiwei’s the definitions Ai Weiwei gives of an artist and an artist’s role. I’d like to c/p most of the article here, but I think/feel that wouldn’t be right.

Edited to correct unintentional disrespect.
(Thank you GagHalfrunt and DukeTrout.)

5 Likes

Thanks! I’m cautiously optimistic about everything. LLMs and the like may get better at organizing words, but until they develop a soul us creatives are okay.

4 Likes

In Chinese names, the family name comes first. Ai Weiwei’s father was called Ai Qing

2 Likes

Thank you. Unfortunately I can’t edit it at this time, as the topic is currently in “Slow mode” :pensive: Maybe later.

2 Likes

I opened it back up so that you can make the edit. I’ll monitor to see if it needs to go back to slow if it goes off the rails again.

3 Likes

Oh weird. I’ll check it out. But I may be happier without the celebrity gossip regardless.

2 Likes

I’m also a bit skeptical, so we’ll see how it pans out.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.