Artwork that challenges you to weave in between pendulums

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/01/artwork-that-challenges-you-to.html

1 Like

Total cake for the kids

#nintendogeneration

2 Likes

Re: setting them in motion – towards the end of the video if you look @ the ceiling, you can see the bar they are all attached to, and it’s moving.

6 Likes
5 Likes

I noticed some tangled near the end.

i kept waiting for someone to trip and get nailed by one or scraped by the point of one passing over. at first i was relieved, then i was disappointed…

this reality tv needs better scripting, i wonder how the producers of ash vs evil dead would have shot this? :smirk: :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

And how they keep them from getting all fucked up foucault during the day as ballworld spins.

4 Likes

The video is from 2013 when the installation was shown at the Museum Folkwang, Essen.
Worth a visit if you happen to be in/travel through the area.

https://www.museum-folkwang.de/index.php?id=4748&L=1

In between them, now you’ve ruined the exhibit for everyone.

2 Likes

“intimates” … ?

I’d love to see a follow on digital project where you use motion capture on the people dodging the pendulums - there are some ‘naturally unnatural’ movements that would be interesting put into other contexts.

2 Likes

O remember this! It was a level in Dark Castle!

4 Likes

Yeah, definitely seems like the wrong verb. In context, ‘initiates’ seems more likely. But artists, eh?

I’ve been to this exhibition, it’s a lot of fun! The patterns of the pendula are difficult to predict and beautiful to watch. I did get a bit too carried away, running through them one got snagged on my trouser cuff and I managed to yank it from the ceiling. After a scolding from the museum staff I imagined that I couldn’t have been the first.

4 Likes

That looks fun.

Forsythe’s ‘in the middle, somewhat elevated’ is one of my favorite dance pieces.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.