As an experiment, this man let a venus flytrap digest his finger for an entire day

Originally published at: As an experiment, this man let a Venus flytrap digest his finger for an entire day | Boing Boing

3 Likes

27 Likes

So it could eventually remove fingerprints?

5 Likes

I can see this becoming a new exfoliating treatment at a fancy spa. Imagine the informercial knock-offs that would follow.

7 Likes

Its all natural!

6 Likes

boring biochem nerd fun facts: the main endopeptidase for a venus flytrap is different from the aspartate endopeptidases of most other carnivorous plants; namely a cysteine protease. Neat huh? huh? …well some of us think so. It puts the venus flytrap alongside papaya for using that approach. Must be a chitinase in there too for dealing with insect exoskeletons …maybe?

18 Likes

Venus flytrap forced into making human foie gras.

4 Likes

15 Likes

I’m definitely curious. But I’m also afraid to look.

3 Likes

I haven’t had a six hour day in years.

10 Likes

I would have just plucked out a few of the plants’ jaws (digestive enzyme stored there), squish/liquify them together in a small receptacle, then stuck my finger in there. Not as cool as having VF jaws on my finger though.

For those thinking about acquiring a Venus Flytrap: During my days as a single guy, I had a Venus Flytrap. With it needing humidity and some light, I kept it in on the ledge of a small window high up in my shower stall. Daily showers and keeping my bathroom door closed as much as possible worked… for a while. The grower warned me of how sensitive these babies are to environment.

3 Likes

How many years would it take it to eat a bicycle?

9 Likes
3 Likes

it’s all about (l)attitude

and whether it’s winter or summer i guess

4 Likes

What about a meat bicycle?

2 Likes

He should put it on his dick next.

4 Likes

It was a bad idea, letting them know what we taste like. Making the appropriate adaptations may have just moved to the top of their priority list.

7 Likes

To be fair, they’ve got GQP competition.

When a plant is attempting to devour you, six hour seems like an entire day.

1 Like

Voluntary something something; words have meanings, something something…